boiler siting dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there...can anyone please tell me if it is possible to site a condensing-combi boiler in a bathroom and if so should it be fitted in a cupboard and what about the electric supply and distances from bath/shower. I have limited space and am simply exploring options.....i AM aware that it must be fitted by a CORGI reg`d professional. All GOOD advice appreciated. thanks Phil

Sponsored Links
Boilers in bathrooms are generally a Bad Idea.
Manufacturer's instructions will specify what's allowed, usually including reference to the various 'Zones' mentioned in the electricity wiring regs.
There's not usually any problem with a boiler in a permitted zone, inside a housing of some sort that can only be opened with tools (eg. a key or a screwdriver).
But a large compartment in your bathroom big enough for a boiler will probably be UGLY and (as it's probably on an outside wall) very intrusive!

Quite apart from the possibility of fitting the boiler legally in a bathroom, its not a good location because of the likelyhood of condensation on the electronic parts of the boiler causing damage and failure which would not be covered by the 3-4-5 year guarantee.

Tony

If you HAVE to fit it in there, the Vaillants I fit can be fitted in zone 2 without any cupboard around them. You must still not have any electrical switches within the bathroom though.

That said, is there really nowhere else it could go?

Sponsored Links
Hello again..Gentlemen, thankyou for your helpful replies.Thankfully now, after your advice,I can condemn the bathroom idea to the scrapheap......
The previous heating system was a warm air unit housed in cupboard in a central position to the dwelling and vented through the roof and being fed by an old 15mm gas pipe buried in a concrete floor! (long since capped off and vents and boiler removed)
Now,having taken the tapemeasure for a further desperate spin round the place, I have a couple of possible practical options left open to me.
1: site the boiler in an upstairs airing cupboard once the old cylinder is removed and vent out of the roof (problem here is how to drain off the condensate)...or
2: modify the kitchen so as to gain access to the only outside wall of this room. (this option however will leave me with a similar problem of condensate drainage as the main drain is across a doorway) .....I had a full head of hair when I started on this!!

Put it in the airing cupboard and fit a condensate lift pump to discharge the condensate 'up and over' ;)

Thanks Dave...when I first suggested this many moons ago to the bona fide CORGI chappie who visited, he dismissed the idea because and I quote "oooh!,that`s costly and there`s all sorts of problems associated with doing it THAT way"
Can I assume that the "problem" is possibly him suffering from vertigo and a reluctance to climb around my roofspace to fit the vent?
can you recommend any particular condensate lift pump?
thanks Phil

I wouldn't touch the saniflo personally, but grundfos is good but pricey.

I always fit vaillants own make onto my vaillant boilers as it all ties into to their pcb etc.

As for pricey, I would not expect it to add more than about £150 to the installation cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back