boiler temperature went sky high bleeding rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went round bleeding all the radiators with the CH on. Two tall rads were a really slow to bleed so I turned the pump speed up. Probably a bad idea. When I got to the bathroom it got quite noisy and I looked at the boiler and it was indicating 99 degrees. It's a Worcester Greenstar HE, about 15 years old, though many of the rads could be twice that. It doesn't seem to have expanded boiling water into the header tank. I turned it off promptly but I suspect I've dislodged some sediment in the pipes. It was serviced earlier this year. Is there anything I can do which doesn't involve major dismantling until I can get an engineer out?

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a water tank then you will have to top up the boiler via a filling loop usually located under the boiler.

Which "header" tank are you referring to ? Is it a feed and expansion tank for the central heating ? If so ,does it have water in it ?
When boiler showed the sky high temperature ,were all rads excessively hot ?

but I suspect I've dislodged some sediment in the pipes.
Why do you suspect that? Is the system working normally again now? If so, what's the problem?6
I don't see why bleeding the rads or turning up the pump speed would cause the high temperature, but it should have gone off on control-stat and limit-stat before 99°.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I wasn't clear. This is a gravity fed system with a header tank and it's got water in. There's an expansion pipe which drains in to the header tank and this wasn't hot at the tank. There's some sediment in the tank however so I wondered if this might have caused the problem. I had a drowned rat in the tank a while back. When I came to take it out it completely dispersed into a brown mess and I wasn't able to fully clean this out.

It's not quite back to normal yet. I turned it back on after letting it cool and it promptly went up to 99 degrees but the flame symbol went out. Then it went into its usual start up procedure. It's still a bit noisy but it's not boiling, some I'm hopeful it'll be OK until the next service.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think my boiler is cleverer than I'd imagined.

Either the cold feed is blocked at the 'H' or you have dislodged something into the pipework and there's now a circulation/blockage issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back