boiler / thermal store efficiency

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I'm a 20 year old newly living without their parents and need some advice. My electric bill is crazy (~£200 a month) considering I live in a one bed flat with only other person. We're doing everything we can to reduce our energy bill (we dont have gas) and nothing has changed so we've come to the conclusion it's due to our boiler. I know very little about this and any information especially when it comes to the energy efficency of it would be greatly appreciated. It is an Albion mainsflow electric 160 contractor AWH0089 that appears to have been installed in febuary 2008. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I understand that times are hard for everyone but I'm currently paying about as much as my parents so it doesn't seem right.

thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
(Some posts have been removed)

that's creepy as ****. the issue isn't heating we don't use our electric radiators and only ever touch the boiler to put the boost on to get hot water cause thats the only way its warm enough to wash dishes or have a shower (even though it still takes about an hour to heat up).

this is the only sticker on it, if more pictures are needed lmn. its honestly a huge ****ing thing

Attachments

• IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 31
Are your pipes insulated?

Cheap things to do is have thick long curtains. (Not hanging over heaters maybe a curtain at the front door.

Stuffed Sausage dog cushion at the front door.

Maybe turn down the thermostats a tad or two.

Last edited:
Are you pipes insulated?
honestly unsure, cant find anything about it in any of the info we were given when we bought the place and i don't have the contact info for the previous owner. property manager just keeps saying that they don't have the info on file for anything to do with the boiler

Sponsored Links
honestly unsure, cant find anything about it in any of the info we were given when we bought the place and i don't have the contact info for the previous owner. property manager just keeps saying that they don't have the info on file for anything to do with the boiler

Send a better picture of the cylinder. Stand back

I replaced one of these a few weeks back.

Using immersion heaters is expensive but that what you have there isn't insulated like the modern ones are. And I can't imagine the immersion are as effective as a new unvented direct cylinder.

You loosing heat from the header do all you can do is insulate, other than replace it.

I replaced one of these a few weeks back.

Using immersion heaters is expensive but that what you have there isn't insulated like the modern ones are. And I can't imagine the immersion are as effective as a new unvented direct cylinder.

You loosing heat from the header do all you can do is insulate, other than replace it.
do you recon i could replace it with an electric boiler and get it all insulated properly or is that not a great idea

do you recon i could replace it with an electric boiler and get it all insulated properly or is that not a great idea

My Neice has one and it's expensive. So until technology improves I'd say no

My electric bill is crazy (~£200 a month) considering I live in a one bed flat with only other person. We're doing everything we can to reduce our energy bill (we dont have gas) and nothing has changed so we've come to the conclusion it's due to our boiler.

Do you have a smart meter, and what electric tariff are you on - E7, or not.

Add a smart meter, move to Octopus, and you might be able to cut your present energy bill almost in half.

Do you have a smart meter, and what electric tariff are you on - E7, or not.

Add a smart meter, move to Octopus, and you might be able to cut your present energy bill almost in half.
I apparently have a smart meter however i dont have the little box thing so idk just going by what my energy supplier is telling me. the issue is that im using too much electric despite cutting down loads basically anything not actively being used is shut off at the plug except the fridge. had a look at different suppliers for my area and nothing was coming up much cheaper. no clue what E7 is so i'm going to guess that I'm not

I apparently have a smart meter however i dont have the little box thing so idk just going by what my energy supplier is telling me. the issue is that im using too much electric despite cutting down loads basically anything not actively being used is shut off at the plug except the fridge. had a look at different suppliers for my area and nothing was coming up much cheaper. no clue what E7 is so i'm going to guess that I'm not

So, you are paying the full rate per Kwh, around 28p. Check out if you might be able to move to Octopus, then think about moving to what they call the Tracker tariff. Today for example, on the Tracker I am paying 14.83p per Kwh, all day long, but the actual cost varies from day to day, with no guarantee what the cost might be each day. Yesterday was different, tomorrow will be different again, but it is always well below the usual rate, called the SVT.

If you go on the Tracker, it can take 14 days to get off it, once off, you are not allowed back for 9 months. Octopus, determine the cost per Kwh each day, via a fixed formlae, based on the wholsale cost, plus a small margin. The idea is that because it is a near instantly variable rate, the supplier can pass some of the risk of a sudden rise in wholesale cost of energy, onto the customer - so the customer can save a lot, by taking a slight gamble. People are absolutely raving about it, who wouldn't, with so much energy cost to be saved?

Pick your supply area, in this website, and it will show what the cost has been over past months...

Here is a referral link, you get £50 off your bill if you use it, I get £50 off my bill too...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back