boiler / thermal store efficiency

Contact your electricity supplier and tell them.

Blame the previous occupier.

BTW, when you move in or out, you should always take the start and finish meter readings and tell the energy companies. Thst's all you're going to pay for. Same with phone, if there is a landline. Notify them in advance of the plan date as well.

Photograph the meter and its serial number with time and date in case of argument.

Sponsored Links
the issue is that im using too much electric despite cutting down loads basically anything not actively being used is shut off at the plug except the fridge.

How is the home, and hot water, heated?

How is the home, and hot water, heated?
we basically just don't use the heating thankfully the apartments next to us do so we get some heat that way plus we own lots of blankets and jumpers but there is three electric radiators we could use if we so wished. hot water we have to use the boost on the boiler to use otherwise it doesnt get hot no matter what we do which i know will increase our energy bill but we don't really have a choice there

Sponsored Links
Do you mean hot-water cylinder? With an electric immersion heater?

Is there a gas boiler?
according to another person it appears to be an electric immersion heater, the apartment has no gas at all

That is expensive to run. During the heating period (until it is hot) it uses 3kW

To heat 100 litres of water for a bath (a typical size of an older cylinder) will take about 100 minutes and use about 5kWh of energy.

That is expensive to run. During the heating period (until it is hot) it uses 3kW

To heat 100 litres of water for a bath (a typical size of an older cylinder) will take about 100 minutes and use about 5kWh of energy.
any advice on what would be a better option? Id really like to pay less if i can help it we're both students

Economy 7 or similar is cheaper overnight, if that's when you use most electricity. If you are at home during the day you can consider storage heaters. Your supplier (or others) will have contracts where price varies according to time.

What are the dimensions of your hot water cyljnder? What colour is it? (This is not a joke )

Post a photo of it including ALL cables, switches and timer.

any advice on what would be a better option? Id really like to pay less if i can help it we're both students

See my suggestion above, regarding how much you are paying for energy, plus make sure all of your lighting is LED, and appliances are energy efficient.

Hi everyone,
I'm a 20 year old newly living without their parents and need some advice. My electric bill is crazy (~£200 a month) considering I live in a one bed flat with only other person. We're doing everything we can to reduce our energy bill (we dont have gas) and nothing has changed so we've come to the conclusion it's due to our boiler. I know very little about this and any information especially when it comes to the energy efficency of it would be greatly appreciated. It is an Albion mainsflow electric 160 contractor AWH0089 that appears to have been installed in febuary 2008. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I understand that times are hard for everyone but I'm currently paying about as much as my parents so it doesn't seem right.

thank you in advance
Thats a thermal store that (can) provides hot water to heat your HW requirements via the mains water passing through a coil in the cylinder. It can also provide heating by circulating HW from the store through rads or possibly fan coils. Are you using this to heat the your apartment? and if so how many rads?? or whatever.

Here is what I am paying, at the moment for my energy, on Octopus's Tracker tariff...

The upper line is the cost of electric, the price those on a variable tarrif are paying to most companies. The jagged line below, is what I am paying each day for mine. The third line down, is what most people are paying for their gas, below that what I actually pay. In both cases, a great deal less-most of the time, though the actual cost varies from day to day.

Here is a referral link, to help cut your bill almost in two :- https://share.octopus.energy/jade-light-417

1708980712422.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back