boiler to choose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I desparately need advice from pros regarding choosing a replacement boiler for my CH system. Hot water is available by indirect heating ( hot water cylinder).
I currently have a Baxi back boiler + fire in chimney breast which I understand is about 25 yrs old.It is working fine apart from the pilot light going out occassionally. But I understand its spares are getting difficult to obtain as time passes.
I have been hearing/reading adverse reports & problems associated with new Combi boilers ( specially with electronics failing). iIwas advised that I need to choose between 2 options:-
1. replace current boiler with new Baxi back boiler but the new regulations require vent from boiler to FE tank to be higher than the height of the boiler. This would mean the new vent pipes to be above the floor boards. Also the efficiency of back boiler is about 78%. But the boilers are less complicated than the Combis.

2. A system boiler and keeping the hot water cylinder.Efficiency is 90% +
Responses from experienced gas gurus would be very appreciated

Sponsored Links
HI

i recommend system boiler. you can also upgrade your cylinder to
Higher Effeciency.And with gas prices going up it is good to store HW.
and like you said combis are more complicated.

You have to have a condensing boiler so you cant have another back boiler !!!

All new boilers have a lot more in them to go wrong, just like cars these days... A system boiler will have dearer running costs than a combi and if it is fitted correctly and serviced regularl then there is no reason why it shouldnt last .... I personally would look at Viessman or Worcester Bosch !!

LUNAT wrote

And with gas prices going up it is good to store HW

Would you care to elaborate the reasoning behind your advice? Or did you just make it up? :eek:

Sponsored Links
LUNAT wrote

And with gas prices going up it is good to store HW

Would you care to elaborate the reasoning behind your advice? Or did you just make it up? :eek:

well its obvious, heat it now, store it for a few years, then it will save you £££££££s :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back