boiler won`t switch off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope someone could help with my heating problem. i have an alpha 240p boiler thats constantly calling for heat, as soon as i switch the power on the pump starts, the primary flow switch operates and the boiler lights. it then stays on until switched off at wall. also pressure rises alarmingly. dhw barely warm unless flow reduced to a dribble. dhw valve and diaphragm o.k.
tried disconnecting remote stat and no different .thought it might be divertor problem , but would pump start immediately? please help!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the DHW demand switch on the front of the diverter valve is sticking on for some reason.

Check it and let us know.

Tony

sorry Tony,
forgot to mention. have pressure drop in system,have to re pressurise every 2 to three days, but can`t find any evidence of leak.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is no demand from external controls? Check at boiler connection.

Have you tried disconnecting the switch on top of the DV with the red wires?

no demand from external stat,
with primary flow switch disconnected(red wires) boiler does not light, although pump runs and primary spindle operates switch, no dhw either.
with p/flow switch connected and plunger held down manually, dhw works,
i.e. turn on tap and boiler lights.

starting to think it must be pcb faulty, anyone know test procedure?
i have multimeter .

thanks dave,
only other thing can think of is weak/damaged spring in divertor, still does not make much sense?

just realised, when boiler is lit the pilot light ignition is constantly sparking.
any clues?

Boiler is not recognising the pilot is alight. Could be a simple loose connection or still a very outside chance of the pcb faulty.

One needs to be in front of it to diagnose properly.

Just to double check, we are talking of the 'P' version and not the 'E'?

If definately the 'P' what is the fan doing? Does it spin slowly when just pilot on, or is it running full tilt?

yes def "p" model.
the only time i have just pilot is with power off.
as soon as power switched on boiler lights fan full speed and boiler flat out.
can`t adjust flame with manual ch or dhw stats on front of boiler also constant sparking from pilot ignition unit.pressure rises until power switched off manually. if boiler thinks pilot not lit would it allow gas valve to open?

Confusing one.

Try 'wiggling' the knob on the gas valve that you press to light the pilot. There is a micoswitch on this that activates the fan and spark etc. The fan should come on at full speed to start with, then when pilot is established, slow to tick over.

Could be this is stuck in the on position.

Otherwise starting to look more like the pcb.

We need Paul Barker to pick up on this post. He's the Alpha expert on here ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back