Boiler won't fire up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having a problem getting my Grant Combi 90 to fire up after running out of fuel recently. When I ran out I went to the depot and purchased 60 litres (they are unable to deliver until next week) put it in and the boiler fired OK.

Two days later it locked out - so I thought the oil had gone. I tried bleeding the oil pump, but it made no difference so I called out my local heating engineer. He had a quick look - unscrewed something from the tiger loop and blew through it - then screwed it back on. Then he went down to the oil tank and eventually concluded that the oil in the fuel line was frozen. For the record, I think that this is unlikely as it has only been minus 15'c and kerosene wouldn't freeze until about minus 40'c.

Regardless, I took some hot water and poured it over the 'tap' bit which comes out of the oil tank. I also poured water along the length of the fuel line. I have bled the oil pump too - but nothing is coming out of it now.

If I loosen the nut on the middle pipe going into the tiger loop - it leaks oil, which suggests to me that the fuel is fetting this far. However when I try to bleed the oil pump there is no oil at the pump.

When I try to reset the boiler it humms for a while (as normal), then there is a quiet click, and then it locks out (at the point when you would normally hear a flame igniting).

I am no expert at all - but I have a suspicion that there is something wrong with the tiger loop. Would this make sense at all? There are 3 pipes going into the Tiger loop, I know the one in the middle (labelled A in the photo) delivers the fuel from the tank because if I loosen the nut (at the letter A in the photo), it leaks oil. The other two attach to the side of the burner (one presumably delivers the oil, but I don't know what the other one does.

Any help or advice would be most helpful.

Hopefully the photo below will help.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
If it makes a difference, or offers any more insight. I just reset the boiler again (after if had been switched of fo an hour or so), and the was a lot of hissing and gurgling from the tiger loop. Also the boiler stayed on for quite a long time before the reset light came on (about 1 minute, as opposed to the 10 seconds or so it was previously).

This is leading me to think even more that the problem lies with the tiger loop?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back