Boiler won't stay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my boiler....

initially the pilot light wouldn't stay on, so I read through these forums and that made me think it was the thermocouple that had gone.

however, having tried a few more times to start the bolier I have been able to get the jets to fire up and the boiler to come on but it appears that after about an hour when the thermostat kicks in, the boiler switches itself off.

does this situation also indicate that its a knackered thermocouple ?

as I'm a DIY moron I havent tried to fix the thermocouple myself.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
the problem is that the boiler shuts down, the pilot light goes out and the bolier will not automatically fire up again.

I have to manually restart the boiler.

That's the overheat stat cutting out. Nothing wrong with thermocouple. You need a good heating engineer who knows Saunier Duvals. Many don't like S-Ds and will just say replace it.

cheers. although it doesn't sound like good news. have a friend of a friend who is corgi regged and he has already suggested that an SD bolier isn't in favour with plumbers....

one fnal question, would the difficulty in initially firing up the boiler also be a symptom of the overheat stat being knackered ?

firstly check the size of ya pilot flame and that it completley engulfs the tip of ya t.c. if it is and it still won't stay lit check for continuity on the interupter/overheat if it has one. if the overheat has continuity i would change the thermocouple although u can make sure by unscrewing it from the gas valve and lighting the pilot get ya multimeter and put one probe on the tip which came out of the valve and they other on the actual lead while still holding the pilot in you should get a reading of about 20mvdc if its about 15mvdc or less change the thermocouple. now you say it cuts off after a while which may mean it is overheating, if u manage to get it going again, turn the boiler stat down to 1 and see if it cuts off and leave es the pilot lit this way you will know the thermostat is working correctly.

would the difficulty in initially firing up the boiler also be a symptom of the overheat stat being knackered ?
I never said the overheat stat was knackered, only that it was tripping, probably because the boiler is overheating! This could be due to poor circulation, possibly due to weak pump (S-D pumps tend to get clogged up with black oxide) or clogged waterways.

the boiler has now started working properly again. the pilot stays on and the system doesn't totally cut out when the thermostat kicks in.

I didn't do anything to sort it out either.

might still get a corgi registered mate round to give it the once over....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back