Boiler working without cover -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if a similar topic has been discussed before.

My central heating works absolutely fine, however when I turn on any hot tap the water temperature just drops to lukewarm and cannot heat up again, its as if the boiler is trying but nothing is happening.

My boiler is a Vaillant timeSWITCH 140.

I live in a rented property and my Landlord has promised to send a plumber round to have a look at the issue. I'm pretty sure that the Landlord assembled the boiler himself (I had no idea how bad the boiler was as when I originally looked round the house it looked brand new).

I know it probably wasn't very safe but I decided to take the front cover off the front to see if I could see anything clearly wrong with the boiler from a complete novice point of view.

With the front cover still off, when I turn the tap on the water comes out hot, like it works absolutely fine. However, I know that this isn't ideal at all.

So therefore, is it safe to have the front cover off the boiler to operate it for a short period of time (i.e, have a quick shower then put the front cover back on after I've go changed) until the plumber comes round and (hopefully) sorts the issue?

Ultimately, is this dangerous and is there a risk of damaging the boiler further?

Thanks in advance for any advise you guys can give me.

Sponsored Links
Replace the front cover to the boiler, turn it off and do not use it until it has been checked by a gas safe registered engineer.

Hi,

to Tibbot - No this isn't a wind up at all, it was a very serious question.

to swbjackson - Ok, I have followed your advise and switched it off, I will call the landlord first thing tomorrow morning.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back