Bolier - pilot light comes on and off when CH/HW isnt on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The last 2 evenings (when I'm home - could have been like this all day) I've noticed my GlowWorm gas boiler has been starting up and the pilot light coming on every 15 mins or so when the Water or CW isn't on. I haven't noticed it doing this before while CH/HW is not on, it's making it's usual noises for when something is on. Is this normal or something I need to get looked at?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That sounds suspiciously like a zone valve end switch staying closed, but my crystal ball has a hangover.

Yep look for stuck microswitch in motorised valve

Thanks, I'll see if I can move it when I get back tonight.
Might this mean my HW is currently constantly on? One of the pipes is very hot in the airing cupboard.

Could well be.

But the boiler temperature control will turn it off when it reaches the set temperature.

Rather than the microswitch being stuck its more likely the valve is tight and not returning to the rest position under the spring pressure. Sometimes they can be lubricated with WD40 or other silicone based lubricant but dont use mineral or veg oils as they will degrade the seals.

Tony

Rather than the microswitch being stuck its more likely the valve is tight and not returning to the rest position under the spring pressure.

Tony

I'm going with 45 and 112 on this , pretty rare for the valve body/spindle to jam whilst in the open position unless of course the valve is in the open position more so than closed which wouldn't normally be the case.

Could well be.

Sometimes they can be lubricated with WD40 or other silicone based lubricant but dont use mineral or veg oils as they will degrade the seals.

Tony

I would tend to avoid WD40 too as it too can degrade some seals
WD40 isn't Silicone Based either Tony, it's petroleum based (unless I'm just reading your post wrong)

Matt

If the spindles get tight just replace the complete valve as it's a no brainer (unless a dIYer) , talkng domestic valves of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back