Bolt Type Query to bolt down Vice.

The problem is there is a drawer right below it so I don't want huge long bolts. I measured it roughly by putting the bolt in the vice bolt hole then through the hole i drilled in the worktop.
If the bolts are inserted from underneath then why would they get in the way of the drawer?

Sponsored Links
Right the Vice is a Record No 0. The worktop is 25mm thick. The bolt hole in the vice is 5mm.
Its on a old sideboard that I use as bench/storage thing. Not a big vice but fine for my use. It was my Dad's.

Sponsored Links
Right the Vice is a Record No 0. The worktop is 25mm thick. The bolt hole in the vice is 5mm.
Its on a old sideboard that I use as bench/storage thing. Not a big vice but fine for my use. It was my Dad's.

A small steel vice with 2 1/12 inch jaws. Sometimes described as a modelmakers vice

The bolts are surprisingly small.

You ought to mount it on an end, above a leg.

1680641757433.png

I had placed it on the edge. So what bolts? lol

Add the thickness of your bench to the thickness of the vice base, i.e. bench =25mm thick, vice base = 15mm thick. Bolt needs to be minimum of 40mm PLUS length for washers and nuts, so looking at minimum of 50mm long. Its a small vice so simply take it with you to B&Q. Look in their loose bolts boxes, (or even open a closed one), and select one that will go through the hole and have enough length to go through the worktop and fit a washer and nut on the end. I would suggest putting a washer under the bolt head as well as one underneath so, assuming only 2 fixing holes, you need 2 bolts, 4 washers and 2 nuts. I would use nyloc nuts as ordinary ones have a tendency to work lose through vibration.
Just for information. You cannot screw a bolt into a wooden worktop Bolts have to have either, a nut on the end or a thread cut into the steel if fixing to a metal bench.

Measure the thickness of the baseplate (it is thickened round the holes) plus the thickness of the worktop.

Add 10mm ish would should be sufficient for a nut plus washers top and bottom. I would use penny washers for the underside where the heads of the bolts will bear on the wooden worktop.

Order M6 HT screws and nuts. M6 means a metric thread of 6mm diameter. You order by length such as M6 x 40 hex HT which means the threaded shaft (excluding the head*) is 40mm long. Hex means a hexagonal head you can turn with a spanner (but not allen or socket head). If you want to be able to remove it quickly, you could get wingnuts, but they are not as strong. I think you will have enough room for the ears. HT or 8.8 means High Tension which is a very common grade with extra strength. A screw is a bolt that is fully threaded. If you are clumsy you can buy Acorn nuts later which are very pretty and will not gouge your hand.

*countersunk screws include the head as it is part of the hole length.

The hole diameters were probably an imperial size such as quarter inch, which is ever so slightly less than 6mm so they would be an easy fit.

Ebay suppliers such as Kays sell small quantities mail order.

I do not advise buying mail order from China as their steel is notoriously poor quality and cannot be relied on to meet specification. They are capable of making good steel for contract customers willing to pay extra and able to test the quality. You may apply force or hammer objects in your vice.

Edit
Too slow!

Last edited:
If you can only get an overlong bolt screw, two nuts on before cutting it so the thread can be reformed. Screwfix do a wide range of suitable bolts but you might have to buy a large pack of them.

Blup

As there's a drawer underneath, I would use Tee nuts on the underside of the workbench. Nothing sticking out underneath for drawer items to snag on then.

Doesn't need anything insane

Or if you fancy doubling the cost for no reason

--

Concur with those opinions expressed already: mount on a corner at 45 degrees (helps fit awkward shaped things in without the worktop getting in the way) and fit the bolts upwards so the nuts clamp the vice. Fit one nut and tighten down then for another and tighten against the first to lock them off. Use a screwdriver to hold the bead and tighten the nut with an open end spanner or adjustable
If cutting the bolt (I assumed 25mm worktop and 15 mm thick vice leaving 10mm stickout for nuts, so maybe no need to cut), fit a nut first so when you take the nut off it cleans the thread up at the end of the bolt for easier re-threading of the nuts

Also perhaps goes without saying but if using a hacksaw and clamping the bolt in a vice to cut it, clamp the part of the bolt you will ultimately discard, because the vice will ruin the threads. Alternatively, clamp the vice up fully so that fitting is finished and then cut the stubs off

Order M6 HT screws
Note that OP claimed the holes were 5mm.
OP, if that's the case, you should acquire M5 bolts and nuts

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back