Bonding and skimming a wall with lots of backgrounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to all the contributors to this forum for their opinions and advice. This and the other diynot forums has given me many hours of reading, and saved me many hours in my DIY hell/heaven.

I am currently making good and plastering the walls in a bathroom. It has been completely stripped bare of pipework and bathroom furniture.

The wall I am currently stuck on has the following.
Bare brick
Sound plaster but very uneven
Sound and even plaster (to the level I will be making the wall to)
Sound and even plaster around the right hand side of a window with angle beading.

This is my plan.....
Whack the sound (but lower than level) sound plaster with an axe to give it some key for the bonding.
PVA everything once, let it dry, then another before I bond.
Bond all lower than level plaster (and the bare brickwork) to level.
PVA everything again
Skim coat to level.

Phew. I hope some of you are still with me!

My (hmm what do I do here) moment is what to do with the part of the wall that leads to the level beading at the window inside corner edge. Can I skim over this over the beading, or do I need to rip out the beading as you cannot skim over existing beading (that has already been skimmed over).

Reading through this, things seem as clear as mud, so if required I'll post some piccies.

So, am I doing everything right here? I really don't want to make for work for myself if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone
Phew. I hope some of you are still with me!
Reading through this, things seem as clear as mud, so if required I'll post some piccies.

So, am I doing everything right here? I really don't want to make for work for myself if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Just about: :confused: Your post sounds like you’ve researched the archive & broadly understood the basics but it’s all very bitty :eek: pics would be helpful :D It’s quiet simple really, look at the wall & if the amount of plaster left in good condition is less than 30% hack it all off back to bare blocs; starting again is much quicker than trying to work between lumps of existing plaster! :(

You then have 2 choices; base plaster/render & skim - proper way; or dot & dab some plasterboard & skim that – not so proper but quicker & will still probably outlast you; ;) plasterboard is OK as long as it’s not in a shower or behind a bath, then use Aquapanel or tank it.

Thanks for the reply Richard.

Sound plaster is greater than 30%, I live next door to a builder who loathes dot and dab with a vengeance. I do agree with him to a certain degree and am enjoying doing things "properly" (I like the feel of solid walls). I'm also enjoying learning the skills of bonding etc.

I shall try and post some pictures over the next week or so. I know where I am at with the bonding (I think) It is just how to skim over the window inside angle with beading that is flummuxing me :)

Thanks again

Jim

Sponsored Links
I live next door to a builder who loathes dot and dab with a vengeance. I do agree with him to a certain degree and am enjoying doing things "properly".

Good man, A proper plasterer :D

Agree with Clout,

Put new thin coat beeds over the old ones. i would use the solid ones and not the expamet micro mesh ones.

diyisfree";p="872622 said:
I live next door to a builder who loathes dot and dab with a vengeance. I do agree with him to a certain degree and am enjoying doing things "properly".

Put new thin coat beeds over the old ones.

Don't forget to fix them on with 1 inch, or inch and a quarter galvanised nails. If the nails are to long, they will just bend when they hit the brickwork. Ordinary wire nails will rust and show through the plaster.

Roughcaster.

Thanks so much for the replies.

I am....
1) Very surprised you understood what I meant from my gibberish post! You got it spot on.
2) Smacking myself on the head for not thinking of nailing on a beading ontop of the exisiting one! Then again, there are lots of obvious (with hindsight) answers I don't think of for myself.

Thanks again for you advice on this post, and all the others I have looked at.

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back