Bonding Central Heating copper pipes.

As long as all incoming services that can introduce a potential have MEB conductors as they enter the property and supplementary bonding has been carried out to pipework and circuits within a shower or bathroom then there's no need to worry about cross bonding under the boiler.

Any ideas why the boiler manufacturers recommend it then ? Is a case of belt and braces and then some ?!

At £1 a clamp, that was a fiver I could have done without wasting !

I thought it was to keep the plumbers and/or electricians happy, when they work on the boiler during future repairs ?

Sponsored Links
Gas meter/pipework should be earthed within 600mm of meter and before the first T in the pipe work.

Was told in my waste of time Part P course that electric regs had been brought into line with gas regs now.

Cross bond all under the boiler with standard bonding clamps.
Why?

If you rely on the boiler to 'bond' the pipes together, then any tme that the boiler is removed then the bond continuity has disappeared.

Same as why we have to clamp across service pipe and domestic when we remove the gas meter to work on pipe work I suppose.

Sponsored Links
If you rely on the boiler to 'bond' the pipes together, then any tme that the boiler is removed then the bond continuity has disappeared.
If you remove the boiler you then just have an collection of odd metal pipes and stuff in the house, none of which are extraneous-conductive-parts....

I was thinking last night that if both the mains gas & water pipes are connected to earth nearer there point of entry into the house or at least closer to the consumer unit, I could just link the other pipes together with either the mains gas or mains water pipes at the boiler.

Rezarf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back