Bonding Main Water - Distance Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a job today for a new consumer unit. The bonding for the gas & water needs to be upgraded. Now the customer has just had the kitchen done which is where the mains stopcock is located (under the sink), and doesnt want any cables/trunking present on her new kitchen or anything knocked out.

Is it possible to install the bonding to the water at the next convinient place e.g. cloak room meaning that it is outside the 600mm distance from the main incoming position?

Sponsored Links
Not without a departure from the regs.

Why not run it in black conduit outside?

BTW, were there electrical alterations to the kitchen? If there were, the kitchen spark should have done the PEB upgrade. Naughty, naughty....

Explain this to the customer.

Again i cant run trunking outside - shes dead adament of having nothing visible.

Would i be in breach of the building regs if the board was changed with the departure noted?

Or is simply no bonding upgrade within 600mm = no consumer unit change?

not only does it break the 600mm but its probably after the first T junction and after the main kitchen tap, so i dont know that you could say the departure would be safe?

is under the floor not accessible at all? ok the bulk of the kitchen may be tiled but if its not concrete you should be able to send the cable under where the pipes are and back up at the CU (ok the bit in the middle may be tricky).

Sponsored Links
If she is not prepared to have her installation made safe, then you must not do the work.

Explain this to her, and if she is slill not prepared to have the PEBs upgraded, then walk away.

What would happen if your DISQ assessor picked this job and found your work did not comply with BS7671? Is the job worth risking your professional reputation on?

Our company had a similar situation a couple of years ago. Nice new expensive kitchen meant main equipotential bonding conductor couldn't be connected within 600mm of the main in leaving the only option to bond as close as possible.
The guy installing called the ECA helpline and explained the situation and was told it was fine (not ideal) but make a note on the EIC explaining the reasoning behind the decision.

544.1.2 .................Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm.........

I have seen properties where the stopcock is a tap sticking out of a tiled wall, and the first bit of exposed pipework is upstairs in the airing cupboard so I apply Where practicable

544.1.2 .................Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm.........

I have seen properties where the stopcock is a tap sticking out of a tiled wall, and the first bit of exposed pipework is upstairs in the airing cupboard so I apply Where practicable

It also states before any branch pipework. If it enters the kitchen you can bet your bottom dollar there's a T before it enters the airing cupboard.
I would go along the lines of a departure from 544.1.2 with your reasoning.

So do you pick and choose which regulations you adhere to, and which ones you do 'something like' depending on how difficult it is?

It also states before any branch pipework. If it enters the kitchen you can bet your bottom dollar there's a T before it enters the airing cupboard.
I would go along the lines of a departure from 544.1.2 with your reasoning.

I agree a departure would be noted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back