Bora TDI clutch pedal clip broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'99 reg

Haven't looked yet but I'm assuming its the black clip that goes on to the clutch pedal for the white plastic clip on the master cylinder push rod to work against.

Its my sister's car. This is about the fifth time the clip has failed. The little lug slips out of the hole in the pedal. When forced out, it rounds the plastic so pushing it back in is a waste of time since it won't lock.

Anyone know why this weakness occurs ? ............ poor design in my opinion!

Sponsored Links
Crap idea really.....only use a genuine VW replacement and cover the thing in lanolin based grease.
John :)

Experience has taught me to keep a spare set of clips ready which I always get from the local VW dealer.

How does the lanolin based grease help ?

If it's the bit I'm thinking of' it bears against a plastic block on the end of the master cylinder plunger? Looks like a small plastic clothes peg?
It may be a failed pedal of course, where the welding fails on the edge.

Sponsored Links
Job done!

I put some grease on the black clip where it pushes on the white clip. I suspect there's some sliding between the two as the pedal operates so that may reduce the stress on the lugs that hold clip in place.

Time will tell and it is a badly designed mechanism.

Thanks for your input Burnerman.

Nice one! Do you need to contact a chiropractor now :eek:
My suggestion re the grease stems from when I last did one of these - years ago - I recall it was smeared with the stuff so who knows?
Lets hope it stops in one piece!

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but you have not fitted a new or repaired/welded clutch pedal?? The only reason that black clip breaks off is when the clutch master cylinder rod pushes the white clip through the end of the clutch pedal! There is a bent over & tac'ed on plate that breaks off.

If all you have holding the white clip & clutch master cylinder rod back then it will fail very soon indeed!

Are you saying take the clutch pedal out and check for damage ?

Surely if there's a crack in weld of the small bracket that holds the black clip, the clip would be pushed straight of when the pedal's pushed down because it wouldn't be straight ?

The clip I've replaced lasted a year.

This is how the clutch pedal should look when repaired, notice the end plate that's been welded back on.

Was the master cylinder rod on you're pedal not pushed through the end of the pedal cap?

Attachments

• 1469090058683-1126283028.jpg
    1469090058683-1126283028.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 672
I was told last night that the clutch pedal has failed again so it seems the pedal will have to come out to see whats wrong.

Was the master cylinder rod on you're pedal not pushed through the end of the pedal cap?

With out the black clip in place there's nothing to stop that happening.

I was told last night that the clutch pedal has failed again so it seems the pedal will have to come out to see whats wrong.

With out the black clip in place there's nothing to stop that happening.

This is what I'm not understanding, in my pic you will see the piece of metal that should be there to stop the rod! A new pedal from VW is less than £30, if/when you change it be careful not to loose the round spacers that live in the cylindrical part where the bolt goes through, pedal will wobble without them!

Tip - Compress the pedal spring assembly with 2 cable ties before removal :)

That's the confusion, the metal plate!

The clutch pedal in this Bora has a black clip rather than a metal plate.

Here's a couple of photos that show the setup -

24caxs3.jpg

6534sg.jpg

This is the thing, it's not a different setup! A Bora identical to a Golf, I have owned & repaired Golf's for a long time, had a MK4 which is the platform we are talking here for 12 years, the black plastic clip is the shoe contact for the clutch switch & nothing else.

What's happened is the metal end plate has blown off & been thrown away! You need a new pedal, the white nylon clip & the black plastic clip might retain the master cylinder rod for a short time but not long.

I'll post a better pic in a min mate :)

Here is a pic of the end plate of the box section that the clutch master cylinder rod lives in!

Ok bear with, trying to do this on my phone!

Sponsored Links
Back