BOsch exxcel 1200 express

You may be confusing the "burning rubber" smell with a severely arcing commutator. Either because there are low (or high) segments or flat spots on the commutator periphery caused the badly worn brushes you recently changed. Alternatively there could be a short on the armature or the commutator, which could also result in bad arcing.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zipper,

Thanks for your reply.

This makes sense, and I can't rule it out, so I'll take a look at the motor on the weekend.

The smell is inversely proportional to spin speed/load, so I'm guessing it could be something else. The smell peaks mid-wash, during water heating. It is stronger for higher temperature settings.

Best regards,

mplar

Just wanted to post to say thanks for the advice in this thread.

My own Bosch Exxcel wouldn't spin but worked ok for everything else it seemed.

After reading this thread I've bought and replaced the brushes for under £11 and also given the rubber around the pump a good clean out as well.

Machine now works great again and spins up with no trouble.

Replacing the brushes was very fiddly (for me!) but £11 and an hour of my time is well worth the trouble.

I've saved a lot by doing this myself and would urge others to give it a go, I'm certainly no engineer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back