Bosch GLM80 laser reader with no feet or inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been looking at the Bosch GLM80 laser rangefinder as it looks a great piece of kit for decorating but have just found a interesting problem?
Although there appears to be only one model called GLM80 there seems to be two different systems on sale in Europe? One just measures units in metric only and the other measure in metric plus feet and inches for us old timers.

Now when I ordered mine from Amazon I assumed it would have English readings also but the clue was in the two pin plug that came in the box. Now I find it amazing if Bosch turn out two separate PCB's for the same GLM80 measuring device on sale around the world.

So is there hidden inside a link that disables the English readings that do not come up on my GLM80 from Amazon. It appears that nothing is spelt out about this and quick to use card shows m-ft-inches?

Without speaking to a to a knowledgeable techy about the PCB's in the unit I do not see any way of obtaining English feet and inches without having to return the unit to Amazon and pay over the nose from a local builders shop and check that the readings are there.

Anybody caught up on this problem which does not show clearly on the box or the quick instruction sheet?

FlyingBrick

Sponsored Links
The instruction manual just shows metric for this model. You sure it wasn't another model you were looking at (one without the inclinometer?)

Hi cajar

On You Tube a British company does a fantastic review of the GLM80 showing imperial readings coming up after the metric ones at the end of the functions for measurement.

Also having been busy today after the disappointment I had been to many sites and in the USA and the UK it shows on the spec m-ft-inch plus it has these on the Bosch quick to use instructions. Labelled : 2 609 140 818 (2011.08) T/2 XXX so there must be one out there with imperial readings on the screen to set up cajar.

The certificate in the box is dated 01/2015 so it has not been sitting around for many years.

FlyingBrick

Looks like it's metric only
http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/glm-80-26171-ocs-p/
Nearly at the bottom
"Units of measurement m/cm/mm"

No help to you as such with this, but despite having learned with the imperial system, I bit the bullet some years ago and changed to metric. Once you get used to thinking that way it's easier. Most stuff comes in metric sizes these days, and it saves messing about with 17/53" or whatever. :)
Biggest problem I had was getting rules etc with just metric!

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave 54

The part number on the back of my GLM80 is as follows:GLM80 3 601 K72 300 and was bought from Amazon by a company which was called werkzeug-lotter. Inside the box there is a small quick get started instruction manual that shows metric and english readings. I f you press the function button on my unit then when you get to the distance icon only mm cm m comes up on the display?

This seems crazy to me to have two different systems on the same named Bosch GLM80 product, is the software installed seperate for another country which does not make any sense as in the UK and USA they use imperial readings. Or is this a price fix to charge extra for the UK market? Surely when you go into the distance settings it can come up with metric first then by pressing the plus or minus buttons you go into the imperial readings for those that need them.
Can't get my head around this set up from Bosch as I do need imperial for my elderly customers who do not work in metres and ask everything in feet and inches. I would love to speak to a techy who has had the back of for repairs where there might be a small plastic link that puts in imperial readings or loses them? Cars sold in the UK don't have just mph but kph also for Europe. So much for the EEC with Bosch.

Any help gratefully received as I am very dissapointed with this unit at the moment.

FlyingBrick

To be honest. if it didn't do what I wanted I think I'd feel inclined to return it, assuming you can of course.

It will not be as simple as a 'small plastic link' (what, exactly, do you expect plastic to do? It conducts worse than air!). It may be possible to change, or it may not. Nobody is going to be repairing these, though, so good luck finding someone who's opened one.

Feel free to open your own and let us see inside.

Agreed. If there is a restriction i think it'll be software based.

My £60 makita does imperial as well as metric. It doesn't have an inclinometer, but you said it was just for decorating. I chose it over the bosch you have because the laser is easier to see outdoors.

Hi Monkeh

Agree with you. The plastic link I was referring to is actually a very small metal link encased in plastic for shorting out certain circuits on a pcb. Hard drives have them and electronic gear for setting up certain areas on a eprom. Normally use a pair of tweezers to move it about. Apologies on that one.

Hi cajar

Think you are right also, probably software set up on the production line.
As a electronics engineer I would love to open it up but that would kill the warranty and I am now thinking of returning the unit to Amazon. Will take a look at the Makita if I cannot get anywhere with the Bosch unit once I have contacted Bosch UK.

Hope this email might stop other potential users from purchasing this unit from the website without stating that it has on board imperial measurements as well. I have learned the hard way.

FlyingBrick

It's called a "jumper" but they're usually put on boards that might need configuration and are user accessible, like computer motherboards, and so on. Doubt if they'd use them on something portable with an inaccessible board, but who knows.

As a electronics engineer I would love to open it up but that would kill the warranty

Does it actually have a warranty void sticker in the way? If not, get on with opening it. If it does.. go get a bit of wax paper and get rid of the sticker, then get on with opening it.

Have now been in touch with Bosch UK and they are looking into the problem for me and sound very helpful to get my non UK model sorted out.

There are of course two types and Amazon sell these from Europe that come metric, good old EEC business selling problems accruing with this specific model now the internet is in full flow.

Will let you know how I get on with one for feet and inches as a lot of my work deals with the over 60's who still live with feet and inches and don't use metric.

FlyingBrick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back