Fused isolator switch for CH boiler

All you would need to do is isolate at the MCB and then pop the fuse holder out, that effectively isolates the boiler and then turn the circuit back on.
If you feel the work shed area doesn't get damp though, say through the winter and thereby the switch would stay dry then there shouldn't be an issue installing a switched FCU onto it.

Sponsored Links
All you would need to do is isolate at the MCB and then pop the fuse holder out, that effectively isolates the boiler and then turn the circuit back on.
Yes, that's what I thought. I was a bit dubious about the risk, in taking out the fuse from the FCU. I note that you are careful to say, "Switch off at the MCB first." Yes, I did wonder whether that would be necessary, but you have confirmed my suspicion that not to do so first would be dangerous. Thanks!

Yes, it does. However, the work-shed and the boiler both use the same fuseway (one fuse for the two circuits). That was the reason for my thinking that it would be more convenient to have a switch on the fused connector immediately next to the boiler. As it is, if the boiler needs to be isolated at the consumer unit, it would also isolate the work-shed, which might not be convenient at the time.
A.W.

I don't understand your suggesting that it might be operated accidently, if you were to swap it for switch fuse. Is the shed not in your own full control? To resolve that, fix a label on it and or move it higher on the wall out, a little out of reach.

I don't understand your suggesting that it might be operated accidently, if you were to swap it for switch fuse. Is the shed not in your own full control? To resolve that, fix a label on it and or move it higher on the wall out, a little out of reach.
Harry, in the under-stairs closet, there are other things, besides the boiler, which things (boards), I need to drag out from time to time. It's quite conceivable that, in being dragged out, they could knock a switch and switch the boiler off. While that would not be a catastrophe (it could quickly be switched back on), I should not want that to happen. With regard to moving it higher up the wall, that would involve laying another (longer) cable under the hall floor (carpet up, and other work), to lead it from the consumer unit. I suppose that it could have a join, where it goes up the closet wall, but I don't favour putting a join in it.
Regards,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
Harry, in the under-stairs closet, there are other things, besides the boiler, which things (boards), I need to drag out from time to time.

Make some sort of guard for it, so it cannot be accidently knocked. It could be as simple as a tin box lid which simply slips neatly over it.

Make some sort of guard for it, so it cannot be accidently knocked. It could be as simple as a tin box lid which simply slips neatly over it.

Yes, that may be a solution. I shall have to think about the best way to do it. Perhaps I could make a perspex box to slip over the entire unit. That's a good idea, thanks!

If you need to stop it being switched off then you just need to mark up what it is, on the switch, and then tape the switch itself, anyone going to turn it off will think twice when seeing that.

th

If you need to stop it being switched off then you just need to mark up what it is, on the switch, and then tape the switch itself, anyone going to turn it off will think twice when seeing that.

th

My original partner towards the end of her life, needed a portable 240v oxygen generator, to keep her alive. Away in the caravan on hook-up using the generator, I would put a similar notice on the hook-up bollard, including the words 'Medical Equipment'. Away for the day, a sparky had turned up to do the annual test and inspection and pulled every single hook-up on the site and left them out. Aside from the generator, everyone's fridge/freezers had been left without power, to defrost.

That's shocking (no pun intended) and any decent workman should always check before anything is turned off. I was always taught that before any water/leccy is turned off then everyone that may be affected by that is checked with that it is safe/ok to do so. For that very reason.

That should always be best practice and to be honest it's simply common sense. I'm sure if that chap came across a visual cue with a sign saying don't turn off and the switch taped off would maybe ask before doing anything with it? If it didn't then I don't think even a cover would stop them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back