Bosch multi tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the bosch GOP 18v-28 multi tool which takes starlock plus blades.
I purchased several blades online from different suppliers a few days ago, when they arrived I noticed one of them was a starlock max which won't fit my multi tool! I wasn't aware their was such a thing as it doesn't seem that long ago they changed it to starlock plus!
Is this a new machine these blades are for? anyone got one of these?

Sponsored Links
there actually seems to be around 6 or 7 different flat fixings you can adapter in between
but with starlock you have the extra level so dont know what to suggest

It's just a ploy to try and prevent you using other brands.

Have a look at the Saxton website, I once got an adaptor from them enabling (some kind of) blades to fit my cutter (a Worx).

They may also have a guide to tool compatibility.

They're a good source of blades with a wide range

I forget what it is, but the Aldi own-brand don't fit mine.

but with starlock you have the extra level so dont know what to suggest
Tools with Starlock connectors won't accept older styles of tooling (e.g. Fein multitool), @big-all, whereas Starlock tooling apparently will work on older tools (not sure of the exact compatibility).There are no adaptors for Starlock from older tools as yet because the connnection designs were patented by Bosch/Fein. AFAIK currently the only firms using Starlock are Bosch, co-developer Fein, Festool (who licensed the technology a couple of years ago) and more recently Makita.

OP my understanding is that Starlock Max is for bigger, more powerful tools which can take larger, heavier tooling - so for a lighter cordless tool you wouldn't necessarily want to fit a cutter designed for use on a 500 watt corded tool simply because your tool isn't powerfull enough (that appears to be the manufacturers' logic)

As @JohnD says, it is in effect a mechanism to lock you into their blades, at least until the patent runs out. Fein did the self same thing in the 1990s when they introduced the original Multimaster - non-OEM tooling wasn't available until about 2006 or so (not sure of the date) presumably because the patent was still in force

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
as an aside
i first got the 10.8v bosch shortly after it came out as you say mid to late 2000
i later got the ryobi 18v multihead with the head that unclips and can locate at 0/90/180/270 % with different fitting so needs an adapter
i then got the dewalt 18v that needs another as it has the slotted slip on blades
i then got the nodding head ryobi and that uses the same blades as the dewalt and visa versa
i also now have 3 different adapters that in combinations off up to two means any off the 4 can use any other blades but no starlett

Thanks all for your replies
I did a bit of research on power tool sites and it seems like the starlock max as JK says is for the corded version ie more power! The starlock system is the best I've seen so far, I can change a blade in seconds. The blades I bought which have the max locking system have a 80mm cutting depth which would help me then trimming out for fitting Velux skylights, but I only have the 18v cordless which is starlock plus! I think I can drill out the centre of the max blade a mil as it is slightly smaller and it may fit....

keep in mind you double the cutting length you will virtually but not quite double the throw from perhaps 5-6mm to perhaps 9-10mm you will also increase the drag by perhaps 20-50% more
also deviation off line could be 3-5x worse and you wont know until the blade surfaces

Last edited:
On the recommendation of someone else here I bought a Festool Vecturo OS400 corded multitool about 2 years back (at the time for doing notch cut outs in joists). I needed a more powerful multitool with increased depth of cut and the Vecturo fitted the bill. The extra long OEM 82mm (?) cutters i got for it (which actually use the Fein Supercut attachment system - not surprising as Festool buy-in their gearboxes from Fein) are somewhat stiffer, or slightly thicker, than the shorter 45mm cutters for the same tool , especially the ones you get from the likes of Saxton. The Festool long cutters do flex less, but the extra power the longer cutters seem to soak up over a standard 45mm or so cutter is very noticeable. I particularly noticed it when I got an adaptor (Supercut blade -》Multitool fitting) and tried using the long cutters on a Makita (cordless, brushed motor and fairly gutless) multitool that the motor and gearbox got extremly hot very quickly and the batteries drained down a lot faster, so there must be something in that, B-A

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back