Multi Tool recommendations to replace my Bosch

It's not Starlock

From metabo UK..
Tool holder for maximum compatibility to OIS, Starlock and other accessories.

Yes your right, its not starlock but it is star lock compatible and thats all you need surely?
Unlike bosch,, metabo probably didn't pay the extortioniate fees that fein were probably demanding. Patent infringements???
You just make a few changes (probably improvements) to the design and off you go.
I have fein batteries and metabo so not sure which body system I would purchase if I wanted cordless. The fein docking and undocking works better.
Have an old fein corded currently.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From metabo UK..
Tool holder for maximum compatibility to OIS, Starlock and other accessories.

Yes your right, its not starlock but it is star lock compatible and thats all you need surely?
Unlike bosch,, metabo probably didn't pay the extortioniate fees that fein were probably demanding. Patent infringements???
You just make a few changes (probably improvements) to the design and off you go.
I have fein batteries and metabo so not sure which body system I would purchase if I wanted cordless. The fein docking and undocking works better.
Have an old fein corded currently.

I don't think it makes any odds once the tool is loaded and realistically it's not a massive benefit to have but I believe from what I've read it was a joint venture between Bosch and Fein to create the Starlock system. In principle it's just a quick release latch system that does away with the centre bolt/pin but has no bearing on the tools operation.

I've not seen the Metabo myself but I've used both the Bosch and DeWalt variants and Starlock aside the Bosch felt really nice but the dewalt was so much smoother and lighter so if I had dewalt gear I'd go that way probably. I do have Bosch batteries though and that is a good price.

The Makita (which is what most of my cordless tools are) options have apparently had a lot of issues with their mounting systems as they don't fix in a set rotation as they should. I think there's some videos on YouTube of the problem.

I know a guy who's had Milwaukee OMTs and had to send them off for repair of faulty electricals which apartment is a common fault of Milwaukee tools. I only have a cordless light so I've seen no issues with anything like that just yet.

I wasn't saying it's not Starlock so you shouldn't buy it. I was saying it's not the Starlock mounting system albeit compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the bosch 18v cordless and I will buy another
as soon as this one dies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back