Bosch WFF1201 Drum not turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

Trusty Bosch WFF1201 that's washed a million loads has finally failed

It all runs except the drum doesn't turn at any point, the pump pumps, the water runs in but nothing happens when the drum should turn

It has been making an odd scratchy metal sort of noise for the last few weeks when the drum started to turn

My zero knowledge and limited reading suggests this might be the motor brushes rather than the belt

Is that about right? I was going to have a crack at the belt, is it reasonably easy for someone not stupid with basic tools?

And is changing the brushes reasonably easy?

And will these parts being available from the usual repairs type old fashioned shop?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
phew, sorted

for anyone else, there's no need to take the back off and thentry and try and take the motor off

turn it upside down and it's all more orless straight forward from there

here's the post I found somewhere else that saved me

brushes are down to a stub

John Verity, in NJ
September 2007
Hi
This is the way I do it. It saves scrabbling about on the floor!
Switch off power, disconnect hoses, open pump housing to completely empty machine of water.
Turn the machine upside down onto a soft surface - eg a blanket on the floor, and carefully cut the cable tie holding the motor cable and splashguard to the motor body; disconnect the motor connector and earth spade to facilitate easy access to the more visible brush block. The brush spades disconnect easily, then the brushes are extracted by sliding each spade terminal inwards toward the motor spindle until the connector end is released from the block, then pull the other way to release the inward end - withdraw the spring/brush assemblies gently from the carriers. The brushes are clearly on either side of the motor spindle but see how they do not fit on a diameter of the motor axle but are inserted tangentially - the curve on the brush is polarised to take this into account - you want to have the wider carbon contact surface of the two fitting options possible. Reassembly is simple but make sure you do not reconnect the mains supply if any water has been spilled into the top of the machine... leave it for a day or so to dry out (I've never had such a problem but I have to say this!!).
You can test the motor using the spin cycle before re-installing the machine properly.
I gather there are two types of brush fitted - I've had no experience of the other type but it should be a service item.

Hope this helps. Regards

John
July 2005

fitted the new ones today and easy enough once you get the hang of it

man in the shop said rotate the drum gentley to check if the brush is in the right way round, good sound is good, bad sound is bad, first one went in the wrong way round and there's no mistaking the bad sound

the happy smooth purr of the faithful washing machine washing is bliss to the ears

Hi, I have the same problem. Replaced the brushes but the problem remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I don't understand

so i see.

I shall endvor to expalin

You have the same problem as tynan, so you followed what he posted (new brushes)

new brushes did not work for you, so you then asked tynan does he have any other ideas.

however tynan actualy first posted "My zero knowledge "

which to me means that tynan has no idea about washing machiens what so ever, other than what he has found on the internet. I.E. Change the brushes (which you have done)

so in conclusion don't ask tynan as he has no idea (No disrepect intened to tynan)

and also i suggest you read the forum rules, 6 would be a good place to start.

then when you have read forum rule 6

post again but with your own , non - hijacked topic

Hi, I have the same problem. Replaced the brushes but the problem remains.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

I have had the same problem, including repacing the brushes not fixing it, so if anyone's still interested here's what I did a few years ago (and posted in FixYa, sorry):

There's an internal fuse in the motor which is not replaceable, but in emergency you could bridge this with some wire and see if it fixes the problem. If it does, you should get a new motor otherwise without a working fuse it might one day take out the rest of the washing machine, and maybe your house fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back