Bosch WFF2000 - Motor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bosch WFF 2000GB/14. The motor has stopped turning. The brushes seemed worn - 8-10mm - so I have replaced these but to no avail. They seem to be making reasonable contact - my circuit tester shows contact between the two brush connectors - but the motor isn't turning in the wash cycle.

There are six pins on the connector block numbered 2-7. There is a contact between 2-3 and 6-7 but not between 4-5. Is there any significance in this? Is the motor shot??

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the klixon overload may have popped. It is a silver object with 2 connections (about the size of a postage stamp) it is mounted internally in the non-drive endshield & it is part of the brush ring assembly. Bad news if it has because you cant buy one....they'll sell you a new motor but that's about it. Remove the endshield & test it to make sure. The 6 leads are 2 tacho, 2 field winding, & 2 armature. The should be continuity on all 3 pairs.

Thanks Zipper. I've taken the endcap off and there's no continuity across this component. Replacing it doesn't look difficult. Can you really not buy a new one either alone or preassembled into the connections/brush housing?

What are things coming to? I've only had the machine sixteen years!!

Can't buy em :(
As long as the armature & fields are ok then the only other thing you can do (besides buying a new motor) is to try & get hold of a scrap motor someplace & change the brush-ring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help zipper et al.

After a lot of internet searching, I've found that Bosch do do the motor end frame assembly for around £53. It doesn't show on the parts diagram for the machine, but part no 496872 is referenced in various places as applicable to the WFF2000. A very unhelpful lady at Bosch was unable to confirm this, ("I can't see it on the exploded diagram therefore it doesn't exist." "It's on your website, can't you back reference it from the part number?" "No") but I've got one coming to me on a use or return basis from a distributor.

Worth a punt.

Ian

Sometimes if you squeeze the klixon with a pair of pliers it will reset,check with meter ,if it does see if the motor works.If it resets and still no motor action poss. PCB damage.

I've had a look at the thermal cutout and concluded that it had failed - no continuity across it. As an experiment, I soldered a wire across the cutout's contacts and this restored continuity across terminals 4 and 5. Obviously, it's not a good idea to use the machine for any time like this, but I decided to reconnect it just to test the motor. Still nothing.

Is it possible that the pcb and cutout would fail at the same time? How could I test the pcb?

Check the wiring & motor plug again. And make sure the brushes are in contact with the commutator. If everything checks out ok then I am afraid it looks like a motor short may have wiped out your pcb. This model has a hybrid power module & they cost £250. There is now way you can test it :(

Thanks again zipper. I'll check this tomorrow. I know there is a connection from the top of one brush to the other (taken from the connector at the top of the sleeve) but I didn't check these individually to the commutator.

There's a glimmer of hope, but I think it's probably a gonner.

The replacement motor end frame hasn't turned up yet - so I'd best cancel that and check out the sales.

I have a Bosch WFF 2000GB/14. The motor has stopped turning. The brushes seemed worn - 8-10mm - so I have replaced these but to no avail. They seem to be making reasonable contact - my circuit tester shows contact between the two brush connectors - but the motor isn't turning in the wash cycle.

There are six pins on the connector block numbered 2-7. There is a contact between 2-3 and 6-7 but not between 4-5. Is there any significance in this? Is the motor shot??

Ian
I have the same problem.except that the brushes are OK. when I checked the Ohms on the pin I got the following.
2-3 1.8ohms,6-7 15 ohms, 4-5 open circiut.
Having read the replies I'm considering replacing the motor and have located part no BSH 140864.
I cannot see my machine model(WFF 2000 GB/12) listed it the list of compatable machines, but the photo looks identical to my motor. Is this the best option and does anyone know if this motor will fit my machine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back