both electric showers trip the rcd/isolator

<pictures of work done by a dangerous, lawbreaking, incompetent t**t who should have all his screwdrivers confiscated>

Ban-all-sheds I came across this today and wondered what you thought...
IMG_20120502_130855.jpg

IMG_20120502_130934.jpg

The photos were how I found this switch feeding a swa feed to a distant garage. Switch in loft near hatch.

I was fixing a leaky roof ... ;)

Sponsored Links
Most of the people who ask questions here are ignorant of the basics of electrical systems ( that is ignorant as in lacking knowledge and NOT implying stupidity ).
"Ignorant" does not mean "stupid", and I never use it to mean that, only to mean lacking knowledge.

Mind you - I sometimes get stick from people who are ignorant of the meaning of the word.

Where stupidity comes in is when people act on the basis that ignorance should not be a bar to them fiddling with things.

Being abusive to them is counter productive as it will drive them away from a forum which is generally very informative and useful. Telling a person politely that they do not have the knowledge and/or ability to do the work themselves is more likely to encourage them to employ an electrician than being rude to them.
This is a spade:

non-branded-stainless-steel-digging-spade.jpg

This is not for beating around.

250px-Cytisus_scoparius2.jpg

And please note that the person who I accurately and efficiently called a t**t was not asking advice here, and since the mistake he made was not specifically electrical, but was one of general ham-fisted mechanical bungling I'm sure he would have been too stupid to ask for advice in the first place.

[EDIT]

PS - what about all the times I've been criticised for asking people planning something major, like a rewire or a CU replacement if they know how to do it all properly, and what they will do about testing etc?

Remember the thumbs-down debacle where I was regularly attacked for daring to suggest that people should know what they are doing?

Contrary to what you may believe my initial response to people asking questions about doing things outwith their competence is not "abuse", it's a comprehensive explanation of just how big the gulf is between what they know and what they need to know.

[/EDIT]

Ban-all-sheds I came across this today and wondered what you thought...
I think the world is full of people who are so stupid that they don't understand why not having a clue about something should mean that they shouldn't get involved in fiddling with that thing.

And despite Bernard's best intentions, I doubt that they are anywhere near bright enough to understand any form of polite information concerning their errors.

Smack in the face and an unequivocal leave it alone you t**t.

Why do you repeatedly insist on using abusive language on this site?
Because sometimes I want to abuse people - they deserve it.

Finally we are getting somewhere. You are abusive for your own gratification.

There is absolutely no need for it.
Sometimes there absolutely is.

No there is no need at all to ever behave in such as way as you seem to be recently taking great delight in doing so.

Have you noticed that you're the only poster on in this forum that lacks the vocabulary to make posts without the use of offensive language?
This is a spade:

non-branded-stainless-steel-digging-spade.jpg

In similar vein, when considering language as a tool to communicate ideas, emotions, opinions etc, calling the person who did that a dangerous, lawbreaking, incompetent t**t was an efficient way to express just what I thought of him.

But as for "offensive", I would remind you, as I seem to have to keep doing, because for some reason it doesn't seem to sink in - I wrote "t**t", which is not an offensive word.

If you decided to pretend that there was a different word there, and you chose one which you found offensive then it was your fault you were offended.

Don't be so pathetic.

If you wern't using an abusive word then there would be no need to include stars in it. Write it in your next post without the stars and prove me wrong.

Sponsored Links
So are you criticising me, and calling me pathetic, for your own gratification?

Or are you doing it because you want to criticise me and call me pathetic because you think I deserve it?

If you wern't using an abusive word then there would be no need to include stars in it. Write it in your next post without the stars and prove me wrong.

I take it I wasn't wrong then, so you must have been lying earlier?

So are you criticising me, and calling me pathetic, for your own gratification?

Or are you doing it because you want to criticise me and call me pathetic because you think I deserve it?

No, I'm demonstrating how you can criticise someone without having to resort to being abusive.

No.

"t**t" is a symbol, it can mean what you want. In itself it is not an abusive word.

No, I'm demonstrating how you can criticise someone without having to resort to being abusive.
Well - it's debatable whether calling somone pathetic isn't abusive, but that's not important.

If you thought I deserved criticism, and deserved to be called pathetic, did you or did you not write a post criticising me and calling me pathetic for your own gratification?

No.

"t**t" is a symbol, it can mean what you want. In itself it is not an abusive word.

Write it out in full then if it's not an abusive word.

Well - it's debatable whether calling somone pathetic isn't abusive, but that's not important.

If you thought I deserved criticism, and deserved to be called pathetic, did you or did you not write a post criticising me and calling me pathetic for your own gratification?

I take no gratification at all from criticising you. I find my self having to do it out of frustration as you are driving posters away and spoiling this great forum for everyone.

Blunt v diplomatic?

The number of newbie posters on this part of the site is a trickle compared to what it once was.

Maybe the over bearing and rude replies to those that dare post has something to do with it?

We all gets a bit wound up, posters that haven't looked at the wiki. Posters that think greater than their ability, posters that want something done that by virtue of regulation can't (or shouldn't) be done DIY.

If you know something and want to contribute then surely taking the attitude of teacher is best. Now teachers aren't rude, abusive, blunt, mardy, antsy, sarky. They are tolerant, patient, considerant and thoughtful.

Banter and debate is good, but resorting to play ground tactics being rude, abusive or plan unkind is not what a help forum is about.

If you can't contain the need to imply rude words, or to be abusive then maybe you shouldn't post.

NB the post is not targeted at any individual, it's targeted at anyone the the content applies to.

I wrote my post at the same time, funny that both conclude a lack of newbie posters caused by the general bad feeling that daring to ask a question means a stint in front of a firing squad.

Write it out in full then if it's not an abusive word.
"t**t" is "t**t" written out in full.

I take no gratification at all from criticising you. I find my self having to do it out of frustration as you are driving posters away and spoiling this great forum for everyone.
I see.

So when you criticise me, in terms which include calling me pathetic, you don't do it for self-gratification.

But you feel quite at liberty to accuse me of posting criticisms for reasons of self-gratification.

Oh well.

BAS, is it possible for you to live by your own rules?

You start off this thread by telling the OP to use proper english here (see post 1 may 9.08am)
you then proceed to use improper english yourself, i.e. "t**t"

Hypocrite

Also, i can't believe you're still banging on about the thumbs up/down thing, it must really have upset you to find that people dislike your posting style and had a vehicle to make a point.
The whole thumbs thing came and went some two years ago, give it a rest, grow up and move on, FFS.

Bernard, if you think I will ever sit quietly by and let unjustified accusations, such as that I make posts for reasons of personal gratification, go unchallenged then you are deluded.

I'd also be interested to see any example of where I've abused someone just for asking a question.

Hi again, as the OP I just want to say thanks to those who helped my understanding of the fault.

This info allowed me to easily track down the fault and fix it.

I will scan the forums gleening info until I am confident of the most likely cause of a problem, being plumbing, roofing, tiling or even electrical etc.

I have completed industrial courses on general maintenance (mech,instrument, and electrical, continuity testing etc) so have a good overall understanding of fault finding and safety!

I have a real interest in fixing things and understanding how things work so being told to leave alone a simple earth fault (without giving a good reason) isn't really much help.

I won't however even though I know how, go near gas or new electrical installations,
just basic fault finding.

I knew posting on this forum would insight the "you will kill yourself"type comments.

Sorry for spacing between words my phone space bar and editing cursor seem to have a mind of there own after latest android update!.......next prob to solve.

Si.

PS. Where is that spade!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back