Both neighbours plan side extensions to boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours and I both want to extend our semi-detached houses on the non-adjoined side to our shared boundary on the ground floor. However, we are concerned that the value of our houses could go down if they became joined, because they might then be classified as terraced. Our adjoined neighbours on both sides could be affected too, if their houses ended up being classified as end-of-terraces. Our adjoined garages are already joined together at the boundary, so there is a terraced appearance at the front already, to a certain extent. Should we be worried about our ground floor side and rear extensions joining our houses together behind our garages?

Sponsored Links
I think your local, friendly estate agent would be better qualified to answer that then a forum on planning and building control

I don’t think the planners would allow you to join your property to your neighbours especially at first floor. I’m happy to look at this and quote for a planning app if you want?

It might have been 50 years ago, but my garage (albeit having a gap between it and next door's) is joined by bricks up to a height of 6 feet at the front and back. I guess this is to stop animals/ kids getting down the gap.

Estate Agents have variously referred to our house as "link detatched" as a result, but I think they speak from their recta.

Sponsored Links
Ground floor joining does not make terracing, and is acceptable to planners subject to suitable design. But may not be acceptable to a future buyer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back