Boulter Economy fule leak at Pump - Advice required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a boulter 50-70 economy boiler that was getting a bit smelly. As in fuel. Took off the covers to discover about 1" of fuel collected in the bottom of the boiler. Almost overflowing from lip of the cabinet. Cleaned up all the fuel and was hoping to find a loose connection with the hose that connects to the bottom of the pump. unfortunatly this appears good and the leak is coming from slightly higher up within the pump itself. As far as I can tell their is the fuel inlet which is good and the fuel outlet from the pump. Both these connections are held tight to the pump with the nut and could potentially leak however I do not believe they are. Could it be the pump seal and if so could I fix it myself? Is it just a case of slackening off the two allen screws to remove the pump to get at the seal. I guess I would also have to remove the copper pipe connecting to the outlet. Is their are any other user serviceable bits and pieces within the pump itself that could be the source of the leak. The unit was still working fine. Not too sure about the safety implications of continuing to use it with the leak. Is their a fire risk?

Could I fix it myself with basic DIY skills or do I need an engineer out now? Or just mop up the oil on a regular basis until I get an engineer out next week to repair? I have the user manual with the parts list but does not go into as much detail as I would like. I take it is still possible to get parts such as seals for the pump?

Any advice appreciated.

Willie

Sponsored Links
Hi

Fuel also appears to be seeping out around about the regulator. Does this strongly indicate the problem to be with the pump seal? If so anywhere online I can order the replacement seal? Or do I need to go to a local plumbers merchant. Have not had much luck with searching for parts on google I hope they are still available.

Cheers

It could be that the o-ring on the regulater access is leaking but really new pump is the best way forward and although easy to do it will require setting up with a test pressure gauge and combustion meter to ensure the burner is operating correctly after.

Best to get an OFTEC registerd guy in to service and change the pump if necessary.

You need to wipe the pump with paper towels until it is perfectly dry. Then watch for the leak. If the inlet and outlet connections of the pump are tight then make sure that the pump end-cap screws are tight. (normally 4 off Allen screws). Make certain that you know where the leak is and if it is indeed the pump, forget about repairing it as it has to be replaced.
(You can find them for sale on the Internet if you don't have a local dealer.)
However, as Tipper says, you need the pump pressure setting up and the combustion adjusting. This is to prevent damage to your boiler and give the best economical use of the oil.

Sponsored Links
Best to get an OFTEC registerd guy in to service and change the pump if necessary.

You just need someone competent. Oftec registration does not necessarily confer competence, neither does lack of registration confirm lack of competence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back