Boundaries and height limits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I understand it, if you build a shed or similar structure in your garden, you are allowed to go no more than 2.5m high if it is within 1 M of your boundary.
If it is more than 2.5M then it has to be at least 2M from the boundary.
Is this correct so far?

We are looking at installing one of these;

Which has side walls of 1.9M and an overall height of 2.76M.

My question is, would we be able to site it closer to the boundary fence, (which is 6' high), so long as the 2.5M part, which would be on the roof slope), was just over the 2M line?
Done a rough sketch to try and help explain what I am asking.

IMG_0420.JPG

Sponsored Links
No. Its a restriction placed on the whole building. If it is only 2.76m then you are likely to get away with it, though, unless you have annoying neighbours. Or you can do it with planning permission. Not a complicated process

The distance criteria from the boundary is 2m not 1m, and the 2.5m maximum height applies to the whole building even if just part of it is within 2m from the boundary.

My question is similar, but regards going down instead of across:

I have a property on a slight hill so the rear garden has terraced sections. This is all original from when the houses were built.

On the highest terrace in the garden, if I dig out a deep base and build a 2.5m high shed near the boundary (and surround with retaining walls) so that the top of the shed is only 2m above the original ground level - would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Just be aware that some areas do require PP for any garden structure, irrespective of size

My question is similar, but regards going down instead of across:

I have a property on a slight hill so the rear garden has terraced sections. This is all original from when the houses were built.

On the highest terrace in the garden, if I dig out a deep base and build a 2.5m high shed near the boundary (and surround with retaining walls) so that the top of the shed is only 2m above the original ground level - would this be acceptable?
By the sound of it everything is below 2.5m so why are you worried?

Oops! Let me rephrase that last bit.

If I dig out a deep base and build a 3m high shed near the boundary (and surround with retaining walls) so that the top of the shed is still only 2.5m above the original ground level - would this be acceptable?

Oops! Let me rephrase that last bit.

If I dig out a deep base and build a 3m high shed near the boundary (and surround with retaining walls) so that the top of the shed is still only 2.5m above the original ground level - would this be acceptable?

And then watch the pit fill up with water?

And then watch the pit fill up with water?
It's not actually a pit. As mentioned, the garden is on a hill and divided into terraces.

The retaining walls only need to be on three sides. The fourth side will face the lower ground level of the next terrace.

I will try to upload a sketch...

Last edited:
For all PD work, the height dimensions are from the highest adjacent ground level not the height of the structure, so yes you can dig down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back