How near to boundary ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new here today.
I’m planning on buying a 6 x 3 x 2.47m high log cabin for sighting in my garden solely as a workshop. I’m aware that the maximum height should be no more than 2.5m to avoid pp and building regs but I’m confused about the minimum distance from the boundary. Some suppliers state a minimum of 2m but may be referring to cabins over 2.5m high. Allowing for access between the cabin and fence would 0.6m be allowable ?
(I have another question on foundations but will post this in the building section.)

Sponsored Links
All details here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

for the 1m guide, it's because it's wood (combustible). So your 18m2 (external) size, is probably 2m2 above the 15m2 (internal) floor area specified for the 1m rule assuming log thickness of 44mm. The supplier should be able to confirm the exact internal floor size which I'm sure the rule applies for

"If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials."

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that folks, especially the link which I have bookmarked.
I'll best go for a 2.5 x 6.0m custom made cabin as 1m from the boundary would mean the building protruding too far into the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back