boundary moved by neighbour?

Sponsored Links
I've sought legal advice and it contitutes a civil trespass. I have the legal right to ask her to remove the fence from my land, to rebuild the brick pillar she knocked down (which lead to the remainder of the wall falling down) and for her to remove the strip of resin bound driveway she has had laid in my garden and to reinstate the flower bed/land that was there before. I would imagine it will cost her a considerable amount of money to complete these three things..... but then I suppose karma has a way of balancing things out. This never would have been a problem if she had allowed me access for 2 days so I could have replaced the fascias and soffits on her side of my house. What goes around comes around I guess. Just be nice

The solicitor also stated I could remove the fence as I can prove its on my land and make her try and take legal action against me. She would have to make an appeal on the grounds of possessory title through adverse possession via the land registry. But the land registry would write to me in those circumstances to ask if I was happy to have the land reassigned to her deeds.

It looks to me from the earlier images that each house had a front garden, each offset a bit to the right.

The offset has happened because the developers have overlapped each garage to squeeze in the max number of houses in the space.

So your neighbour and you should end up with the same total cartilage width across the front.

neighbours can extremely nasty - I know somebody who had the neighbour move the fence whilst he was on holiday and steal some land - it went the legal route, cost over £50k, he won his case, then the neighbour moved.

I would just put your neighbour on notice to remove the fence and reinstate or you will do it and charge for the cost.

People won't realise just how awful this woman is. She is a vile piece of work. I could write a book about the things she has done in the few years I've been there. She is an out and out bully and has targeted just about everyone on the Street at some point.

This isn't about winning or losing a piece of land...... its about her feeling some.of the upset she has caused just about everyone else on the street. I've had call after call after call from my builder saying she's kicking off again.... I feel sick almost every time my phone rings thinking its him ringing me again. I've lost sleep over it her actions, she makes it very difficult for anyone on the street to do anything, but then expexts everyone to appease her when she is getting work done.

This stuff about 'fences move over time'..... doesn't really apply. There was no fence there..... never has been. She siezed an opportunity when the house was vacant between the tenants moving out and me moving in, to deliberately maximise her drive. This wouldn't be an issue for me, had she chosen to be reasonable when I asked about some scaffolding. In addition., I could stand a scaffold leg on the area she has taken and carry out the work, but obviously this is impossible. In addition - the first ever purchaser of the house owned it from new, and we bought it from them.... there are no other sales where may have moved.

With regards to cost, I have legal protection for this matter and belive most of it will be covered.

I know it looks like I'm being petty, but nobody here has had to tolerate her bullying of people. She never directs it at me..... which infuriates me..... she waits and targets builders, gardners, delivery men basically anyone and everyone who dares to drive onto HER cul de sac.

LOL

Did your advice include that the neighbour may have permission, a licence, or implied/explicit easement or acquired one?

How would they have that? I bought the house from original purchaser..... nobody else has owned it to allow such things. Its quite simple really..... my garden in now 18 inches narrower and hers is 18 inches wider..... no permission for this has been sought.

Shes also had my wall knocked down....

Sponsored Links
Sound's like she deserves everything she gets!.

To be fair the design of the house and garage seems a bit ambiguous to start with, looks like her garage is over your boundary to me.

Yeah I agree Keith..... its slightly ambiguous, but it is what it is. When they were built, there were no fences..... as ive said, she seized the opportunity to gain when she thought nobody would notice. Its sneaky which is one thing...... but the way she treats people is disgusting. One example..... lady that lives on the other side of my house..... really nice woman with 2 little kids. They bought a caravan in summer and parked it on drive. The following Friday, she turned the caravan around on the drive ready to take her and the kids away on the Saturday morning. This witch that lives on my right obviously clocks that the caravan has turned around ready for the neighbour and kids to go away. The witch gets up at 5 am and moves her car off her driveway and parks it on the road.... making it impossible for the lady to get her caravan off. She then left it there all day and refused to answer her door. It came to a head at 6pm when half the street came out to jump to the ladies defence and accused the witch if being a bully. She said she can park where she wants and apparently did it because 8 months earlier some sawdust had blown onto her drive when the lady had a tree removed from her back garden.

A vile nasty bully... both kids in tears and mum stressed to bits, for no reason. Scum

Last edited:
Here's a thought. Why the feck don't developers just design plots where it's damn near impossible to dispute boundaries. And what's the benefit to the linked detached design? It seems to me a compromise between detached and not detached. Is it a cost saving thing and/or simply a way to cram another house on?

Here's a better thought. Why don't purchasers just make damn sure what they are buying before buying it? :rolleyes:
I'd say you have offered another, not a better, thought. A valid one nevertheless. However I'd assert my point still stands, through design, make the boundary very difficult to argue about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back