boundary moved by neighbour?

I'd say you have offered another, not a better, thought. A valid one nevertheless. However I'd assert my point still stands, through design, make the boundary very difficult to argue about.
Surely if anyone is spending a few thousand on a house, the very first question would be "what am I actually buying?".

Boundaries change, what the original developer sells is not necessary what a subsequent buyer buys 50 years later, and different developers have different policies and practices.

No buyer can pass the buck for their ineptitude and say "well no-one marked the boundaries properly" after they have bought the place!

Sponsored Links
Every house ive bought over the years, the solicitor has checked the boundaries with a site visit.

Yeah I agree Keith..... its slightly ambiguous, but it is what it is. When they were built, there were no fences..... as ive said, she seized the opportunity to gain when she thought nobody would notice. Its sneaky which is one thing...... but the way she treats people is disgusting. One example..... lady that lives on the other side of my house..... really nice woman with 2 little kids. They bought a caravan in summer and parked it on drive. The following Friday, she turned the caravan around on the drive ready to take her and the kids away on the Saturday morning. This witch that lives on my right obviously clocks that the caravan has turned around ready for the neighbour and kids to go away. The witch gets up at 5 am and moves her car off her driveway and parks it on the road.... making it impossible for the lady to get her caravan off. She then left it there all day and refused to answer her door. It came to a head at 6pm when half the street came out to jump to the ladies defence and accused the witch if being a bully. She said she can park where she wants and apparently did it because 8 months earlier some sawdust had blown onto her drive when the lady had a tree removed from her back garden.

A vile nasty bully... both kids in tears and mum stressed to bits, for no reason. Scum

I would’ve got a tow rope and moved the car.

Sponsored Links
When you buy a house one of the searches a solicitor does is for the boundaries, they get the map from the land registry - it's in the paperwork pile.

I got mine and all my neighbours (and the terrace above) from the LR before I got my house.
So I knew exactly what I was getting into.

(according to what my sol told me I'm supposed to collect the ground rent from a few houses but never have, don't know where to send it).

Never known a solicitor to visit a property but they should have sent you a copy of the title deeds, from which it would be obvious the boundary around the garage was not a straight line.

Blup

When you buy a house one of the searches a solicitor does is for the boundaries, they get the map from the land registry - it's in the paperwork pile.

Most solicitors can read, so would have seen this on the UKLR website:

"If you live in England or Wales, there’s usually no record of:
  • the exact boundary between two properties
  • who owns the hedge, wall, tree or fence between 2 properties
You can get an idea of where the boundaries for your property are by looking at its title plan. Most title plans don’t show exact boundaries - you usually don’t need to have the exact boundaries recorded anywhere."

UKLR listings DO NOT* show exact boundaries.

*Unless parties have had a boundary determined.

Yeah, I get that. But, in my case I have plans from when the house was built with exact measurements on them. Other houses on the street have the fences in the correct place. I have photos showing where the boundary should be when the house was sold to me. The woman next door seized the opportunity when the house was unoccupied for a month before we moved I to place the fence where she has. I have a written statement from the people who owned the house before me (and who owned it from new) to say she absolutely did not agree for the neighbour to put the fence where she has.

I agree the UKLR pretty much leave it to neighbours to work out. The problem I have is that I cant access my gable wall now that she has taken the piece of garden that she has.

So this bit of land is like Crimea then? What are you doing about it apart from a thread on DIYnot?

I'm going about getting her to remove her fence. I have written to her explaining the situation and making a polite request for her to remove it.

She hasn't responded yet and I've given her 28 days to let me know what she wants to do. I'm also in contact with a firm of solicitors who will advise me on the best course of action to take as this progresses. I know it won't go smoothly, but if I do nothing she will continue to try and bully and intimidate everyone on the Street.

You seem a bit unhappy about it Woody..... not sure why. But every now and again someone needs to stand up for what's right..... and this witch needs it.

If you have evidence with dimensions it is wrong, just remove it yourself and give it back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back