Bow Window replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get some new windows for my two bay/bow windows. I'm trying to understand if as i've been told by window salesmen that it's best to replace the whole lot including struts (the vertical wood between the units) or just replace windows/frames. The window is not load bearing (or at least not very much), above it is a small gable end (bay and gable i think they are called). The units themselves are ok, though i think made of alu and pretty old, so when it gets particulary cold we get condensation on the frames though not the glass. We are renovating the front exterior so now seems like a good time before we render it as well.

I would prefer PVC i think for low maintenance and price, but all the frames/profiles i have seen appear very chunky compared to what i have now, do modern alu/wood frames have smaller profiles that pvc?

Here are some internal pictures to give you an idea of what we've currently got -

Sponsored Links
Take it all out it will look to bulky if left in

Thanks for your reply, what about wood or aluminum frames, would they fit better?

I would second what God said take it all out as you can't fit upvc in-between the existing vertical mullions, you wont have any glass left.
Although personally I am anti upvc these days, I am a wood man now, so if there is nothing wrong with the framework I don't suppose I can ask you to consider taking out those horrid aluminium inserts and find a local joinery company to make replacement timber sashes to match what would have been there originally.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll look into it - i know it would both look nicer and be more environmentally sound, though i'm concerned it'll be about twice the price, thats what i'm more concerned about really. I'd go all wood if i could, the rear half of the house though has fairly new pvc units, which is a shame as i can't justify getting rid of them.

Thanks for your reply, wow about wood or aluminum frames, would they fit better?

Timber windows have more character than upvc. And some period properties actually devalue when upvc replacements are installed. Replacement upvc saves on energy because the cut out the drafts but they are not environmentally friendly. You can have modern draft proofing fitted into the exiting frames if you were to have new timber sashes, and timber is environmentally friendly.

It wont hurt to get a quote or two for timber, but I wont blame you if you go with upvc. Just dont fit plastic into the existing frames, total waste of money. All the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back