Bowing Wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I have just been looking at a victorian semi-detached house that interests me although I did notice that on the detached side there is a very slight bow in the wall about half way up. There are no windows on this side of the property, just an alley way. The house is built on a shallow slope and the bowed wall is to the lower side. I noticed that many of the houses around here have those metal cross-like or round plates on the walls to keep them together, the house that interests me has none.

Is this a big problem? Should I steer clear or is this no big deal? I'm not sure what to do and I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

J

Sponsored Links
It is a structural issue and any such issue left untreated is potentially very serious. However steps, such as the ties and struts you have seen are effective and not mega bucks.

You would be crazy not to get a full structural engineers report should you want to buy this house. It may cost a bit but would be essential before buying. That said it would be normal practise to make an offer subject to survey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back