Brakes creaking, Hyundai getz 2006 (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my Hyundai getz 2006 1.1l petrol with 147k miles has started to make a creeping sound when breaking. It recently passed its MOT mid Feb, no break related faults/advisory. It's coming from the right back break/area.

The link below is the sound it makes.

Any help on what it could or things to check first would be is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
First of all, two things.....
Does your car have disc brakes on the back?
If so, the system has usually a disc brake operated by the pedal, and a drum brake which is operated by the hand brake.
Can you confirm please, if you can?
Creaking brakes often just need a good clean and lube, but occasionally the handbrake does tend to stick on, especially if the car has been parked up for a while.
John

I'm pretty sure that has discs on the rear, incorporating a drum for the handbrake.

I think your probably right, it’s usual Hyundai procedure.
I haven’t seen a Getz for a long while but I do rate them, likewise the i10.
I’ve known a couple where the handbrake doesn’t fully release so reversing produces a creak, which quickly disappears going forwards.
John

Sponsored Links
First of all, two things.....
Does your car have disc brakes on the back?
If so, the system has usually a disc brake operated by the pedal, and a drum brake which is operated by the hand brake.
Can you confirm please, if you can?
Creaking brakes often just need a good clean and lube, but occasionally the handbrake does tend to stick on, especially if the car has been parked up for a while.
John
I've looked and I have drum breaks on the rear

Ok, that’s fine.
Are you able to jack the car up, one wheel at a time, and see that they are able to rotate without dragging?
Best to press the brake pedal firmly, then yank the handbrake on then release it before you do this.
John

Ok, that’s fine.
Are you able to jack the car up, one wheel at a time, and see that they are able to rotate without dragging?
Best to press the brake pedal firmly, then yank the handbrake on then release it before you do this.
John
I'll give this a go over the weekend! Thank you

I put the reg number into Brakebook.
This is what it has.
20240328_222251.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back