Brand new towel radiator leaking.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I just bought a brand new 1100x600 chrome towel radiator (the flat panel style not the tube type) and after installing, we noticed a couple of tiny leaks from what appeared to be the welding where one of the horizontal panels connects to the upright.

I got it from iBathUK who have been very good and a replacement arrived today. They have asked me to 'bin' the faulty one but it seems such a shame to do that with a brand new rad worth around £150-£200.

Is there any product on the market that if applied, might permanently seal microscopic holes ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated and we could pass it on to a good home !

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
The local scrap yard is the only home for that i'm afraid.

Put it on ebay:

FOR SALE

LEAKING TOWEL RAIL

Doubt you will get any takers though... The manufacturer's price will take anto account a certain failure rate: recycle it for a few quid, it's junk

got it from iBathUK who have been very good and a replacement arrived today. They have asked me to 'bin' the faulty one but it seems such a shame to do that with a brand new rad worth around £150-£200.

It is only worth £200 without the holes. With holes, about a quid.

Most manufacturers pressure test them on the production line. I get emails from Chinese manufacturers offering chrome rails for £20 in large quantities.

Sponsored Links
...They have asked me to 'bin' the faulty one but it seems such a shame to do that with a brand new rad worth around £150-£200.
It is not worth £200, just because you paid that for it. It is obviously poorly manufactured, and to finish things off, the produce appears to have no quality control.
Hammer the connections beyond use and make it look unattractive before you throw it out, or the ****** will sell it to some poor unsuspecting soul.

On the other hand.. it is a new radiator and only needs a few wleds to repair it.

Dont waste the resources used to make it, put it on your local Freecycle or Realcycle reuse group where I am sure there may be someone keen on using it who will get it welded to repair it.

Please do not just throw it away as the above fellas are suggesting.
If you were closer to me I'd weld it up myself & reuse it. :D

sure it would look beautifull, which a few welded joints on a nice smooth chrome towel rail.............. :rolleyes:

You could always paint it after welding.

The scrappy will give you about 70p.
That's all its worth.

Depends where the leaks are & have you never heard of chrome looking paint?
You may never see them if they are on the rear or when a towel is on it (as is usually the case).

Some people are not able to purchase a new one due to the costs & would gladly put up with the occasional blemish if they got it for free.

I think your strapline sums your contribution up perfectly.

You could always drill more holes in it and turn it into a very chic garden water feature ;) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back