Breather membranes don't work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I had a rep around the other day, looking at fascia and soffits, he said that breathable roofing felts don't work, and that I will also need to vent the roof space with soffit or fascia vents.

Has any one else heard of this?

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
Who are you? A roofer, homeowner, new build, replacement roof, work in progress, roof a few years old? give us some bones. Rep from who? Did you see his card? How did he know to call on you? Questions questions.

I carry out Design and Build contracts. The rep was from U Plastics. I got him in to price Hardiplank and roofline gear, He said I will need to vent the fascias on the job. If he is right, the design will now need to combine a vent for the planking and the roof, I was hoping for any feedback before I draw up this area.

The build is timber frame, single storey, and the eves are tight to the building, in some area with no space for soffit.

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
I reckon breather membranes are just a way to save time /effort in a new build situation - get some air flowing with over facia vents - that way you can`t go wrong ;) AFAIK the breathing technology came from waterproof clothing - bit different to a roof :rolleyes:

Back