Roof venting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I over-clad the fascia and soffits of my bungalow a few years ago, I am now doing a loft conversion and I need to vent in-between the rafters for building control.

As the asbestos soffits are still in place I obviously cant drill holes for push in vents in the soffit.

Although I have been fitting fascia's and soffits for years (so I could do it myself) I would like to avoid the hassle of stripping the roof back to fit over fascia vents if possible.

A couple of ideas Ive had so far:

1. I'm wondering if somewhere sells a smaller push in vent (70mm would look a bit hideous) that I could fit through the fascia and hide behind the gutter?
Assuming this is doable could it also let water in though?

2. My other idea is external trickle vent covers also hidden behind the gutter with holes drilled through the fascia. This would at least provide protection from any driven rain.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Sponsored Links
And before anyone says it, Don't say "don't over-clad asbestos lol"

Have you plaster boarded over the rafters yet? If not you could open the flaps on the felt using some small pieces of overflow pipe, then install vented dry ridge system

Have you plaster boarded over the rafters yet? If not you could open the flaps on the felt using some small pieces of overflow pipe, then install vented dry ridge system

If the ridge tiles need to come off that may be an option, If not that would be even more work than fitting the over fascia vents.
I will keep it in mind and once the dormers are being built I can decide on that one.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
The time it takes you to remove the gutter and do all the venting you may as well just push back the first row of tiles and screw over fascia vents along the top of the wood. If it's a detached it won't matter if the tiles are raised an inch. Or is it rosemary tiles pain to take off?

Otherwise just get a 22mm wood bit and drill loads of holes behind the gutter at say 12" spacings. As long as it's behind the gutter it will be dry as a bone but for peace of mind just drill upwards at say 30 degrees so any water will simply run out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...Ceilings_Walls_Roofing_ET&hash=item27f528d9df

Cut the mesh tape down to width and run along the holes. Once the gutter is back on you won't really see the holes or the mesh.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The time it takes you to remove the gutter and do all the venting you may as well just push back the first row of tiles and screw over fascia vents along the top of the wood. If it's a detached it won't matter if the tiles are raised an inch. Or is it rosemary tiles pain to take off?

There are several gables and I would have to re-render in the end tiles too also a tricky spot to get to over the conservatory. As I say I could do it but I am pretty well booked up at the moment so I was looking for a faster option

Otherwise just get a 22mm wood bit and drill loads of holes behind the gutter at say 12" spacings. As long as it's behind the gutter it will be dry as a bone but for peace of mind just drill upwards at say 30 degrees so any water will simply run out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...Ceilings_Walls_Roofing_ET&hash=item27f528d9df

Cut the mesh tape down to width and run along the holes. Once the gutter is back on you won't really see the holes or the mesh.

I like it! Hadn't thought of drilling up at an angle. Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As someone in the building section sounds to have a similar problem I thought Id let you know what I went with.

I bought one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dade-Dust...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item46316c489f

I used it with the 70mm drill bit to just drill through the plastic then with a short sharp hit from a hammer smashed holes through the old asbestos. Obviously all while wearing a disposable boiler suit, Goggles, an M3 dust mask and a hat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back