Brexit in/out vote 2

No No point pontificating on staying in EU..will never happen .as pointless as debating is God a man or woman when it does not exist
Quitters don't have a good track record of explaining the details, so they go off on a tangent hoping that their ignorance goes unnoticed :LOL:

Sponsored Links
We need a new rule on this forum - only one Brexit thread allowed each month. It's all getting a bit tiresome really.

Maybe something more productive, like, how will Brexit impact the building / DIY industry? Are there tools, materials etc. that will be more expensive post Brexit? Can you source from other places?
Will Bosch tools be more expensive, and Makita suddenly look more desirable?

Some info... https://www.diyweek.net/1billion-vat-bombshell-for-building-supplies
but what products does this involve? Insulation, timber, electrical and plumbing? And what are the alternative products?
Will Celutex (French) be entirely replaced with Kingspan and Ballytherm (both Irish)?

Or, won't it make any difference because a deal will be made?

Celotex is made in Suffolk.

I'll also throw this out there..
- what are the odds of remain winning? Where is the evidence the mood has changed? Recent polls show a reversal only being slightly ahead and that is despite two years of gloom. Also 71% think Corbyn would be a disastrous Brexit negotiator.

- will people really want to vote remain with a gun to their head?

quite a complex logic table needed to reverse Brexit and have a decent PM.

Last edited:
Will they still be able to make it in Suffolk? How does Brexit actually work?
If we still have EU businesses making products in factories here, often hiring overseas workers ... what does Brexit even mean?

I am, as you may have noticed, a remain voter. While i would love there to be another referendum and a different vote, I am not sure that remain would win next time round. While remain are very vocal in being generally ****ed off about the whole thing, I don't think I've seen a great deal of evidence that sentiment has swung. I do know a few people who said they voted leave and regret it, but likewise, I know plenty of people who voted Leave and would do so again.

But, a second referendum would at least settle things. Nobody will be able to say they were not informed, duped by social media / papers, believed the bus NHS lies etc.

And for those that say, you only get one chance, this is not true. My mum would always offer a cup of tea, and if i said no, she'd say, "are you sure, how about a bit of cake with it?" Often I'd then say, "yes please!". So opinion can change.

Sponsored Links
I actually voted leave, fully expecting romain to win, or for DC to go back and try for a better deal. I'd be ok with remain winning this time around. I don't think I'd vote remain with a gun to my head.

Wrt to manufacturing.. everyone is saying they need to move to Europe post Brexit because they are expecting barriers to trade. No business leader is going to publicly say "of course I'd expect the UK to do the same". But that is the reality.

BMWs would need UK production to qualify just as jaguar would. It could get like trump and china. Or nobody would change anything out of fear.

I actually voted leave, fully expecting romain to win, or for DC to go back and try for a better deal. I'd be ok with remain winning this time around. I don't think I'd vote remain with a gun to my head.

Thats pretty much the same as me.

I would prefer to remain in the EU than have France and Germany get their hands on our financial services.

I see Macron has already halved tax for the super rich, so more of those are going to Paris thsn London.

No business leader is going to publicly say "of course I'd expect the UK to do the same". But that is the reality
I heard a business leader saying just that. He has sourced goods he needs in Asia instead of Europe.

yes we are busy arguing over trade, while the world continues to buy from china, India and Korea.

At least we know a bit more about where the UK is headed...

A low (corporation) tax country and an 'open' (to all corporates) economy, whilst cutting services to the bone!

Thats pretty much the same as me.

I would prefer to remain in the EU than have France and Germany get their hands on our financial services.
So tell us, why exactly did you vote leave?

The consequences were laid out for those who could be bothered to look.

We've heard over and over again that quitters 'knew exactly what they were voting for'...

Did you 'know exactly what you were voting for', or were you mistaken/ill infomed?

In the eyes of the remainers, the EU can do no wrong and Britain is a failing state with a chaotic political system.
- The EU wastes billions and that'd just Junker's bar tab.
- It is entirely geared up for the Euro zone, Agriculture producers and manufacturers.
- The most recent entrants are in it for the money
- Those who want more EU are heading for a United States of Europe.

Remainers: were you really happy with all that? or were you hoping we'd reform it from the inside?

Sponsored Links
Back