Bricking up a doorway - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asked a builder to brick up a doorway... this is the result.

I'm not experienced at all with bricklaying so could be looking at this wrong, but it just looks like a section of blocks in the doorway and not integrated with the rest of the wall. I would have thought they would do a zipper type effect and put some blocks into the existing wall on the sides?

That wall will need to support some kitchen units on the other side so it needs to be able to carry some weight and not just buckle in as one big section.

Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'd have been much happier if he had bonded every 3 or 4 courses or so into the existing wall......
John :)

Sponsored Links
That is 9" blockwork wedged between an opening. It's not going anywhere ties or not

woody's right tekanaka, you can sometimes do more damage to the existing walls cutting out to toothe in. A 9 inch block infill is really solid.
Even 4 inch only needs a few frame cramps fixed in at best.

Thanks guys. That's reassuring. Plus the builder mentioned later that he put in four steel rods between the blocks and the side wall. So hopefully all good.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back