Bricks on Bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The bottom 2 rows of bricks on my bay window at the bottom seem to be eroding - any dieas what it may be and how I could treat?

Also, we have a hairline crack following the bricks down approx 7 rows....it doesn't go through the bricks.....just wondering what your thoughts are....photos attached.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
The bricks near the ground are experiencing frost degradation due to being damp and freezing. You wont stop this

The crack is contraction as the wall as dried. You can re-point, it may be fine, or it may happen again as it all depends on the specific weather conditions

Ah the famous Woody - I've been following your posts - thanks so much for responding.

If I do nothing, will it be okay? I will hopefully sell in the next 12 months so I don't want any suprises and I would prefer to remedy anything before I move on.

Thanks again for your time.

Sarah

You are really lucky to get the famous woody to answer your question. I waited over 2 years, and then he only told me to P*** off to ultimatehandyman with my stupid question.

Sponsored Links
If you mess too much with either of these, then you will make things look 10x worse and prompt a numpty surveyor into all sorts of negative findings in his report

Don't repoint as it will stand out a mile. But do fill the crack with some light grey silicone to match the mortar (or clear) and rub or blow a bit of grey dust (neat cement or ground from a bit of thermalite block is easiest) into the wet silicone.

I'd leave the bricks. It's wear and tear and common. It may/should get picked up in any survey, but it should also be recognised that its not a big issue

You are really lucky to get the famous woody to answer your question. I waited over 2 years, and then he only told me to P*** off to ultimatehandyman with my stupid question.

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I had toothache at the time

As for your question, yes yellow marigolds are better than the pink ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back