Bricks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bricks. I am about to commence a large full width rear extension and will be needing facing bricks. Ideally to match (does need to be identical? Ideally it would look similar).

Where would be a good place to get similar bricks? What type do I need? Are these going to be easy to match? How much would this type of brick cost? Any advice?

Builder has given me an allowance of 80p/brick. Is this realistic?

I have included some photos:
1. 1940's Original.
2. 1970's extension
3. Up close
4. Matching (?) brick I found in garden (!).

Brick_1.JPG Brick_2.JPG Brick_3.JPG Brick_4.JPG

Sponsored Links
Look like the old Dorking Double Diamonds. West Hoathlys and Freshfield Lanes could be a close match if you can't find any.

The pattern in the frog should identify it.

I did a job in Ashstead recently that had similar bricks, the originals came from a brick maker in the area that has now closed.

I ended up using a Feshfield lane multis with a few Freshfield lane darks.

Im sure your builder will use a merchants that have a brickmatching service, sometimes the reps will visit, or if too busy send them pictures or drop some bricks in if you have representative spares. These guys often have huge knowledge and can often know the origin of the brick and best natch option off the top of their head.

Freshfield lanes are about 60p +vat ibstock brick.

Ashburnham is similar colour brick.

You might need to try different sands to match mortar colour, they vary depending on quarry.

Thanks. They look good. And with the builders/quantity discount should get them for 80p.

Would you go for 'First Quality Multis' or 'Rural Multis'? How does one determine the ratio of Darks to mix in?

First Quality Multi:
First-Quality-Multi.jpg

Rural Multi:
Rural-Multi.jpg

Selected Darks:
Selected-Dark.jpg

https://www.mbhplc.co.uk/freshfield-lane

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My Contractor has suggested either Ibstock Bexhill (Red or Purple Multi), Or Freshfield Lanes (Handmade or First Multi). I favour Freshfield Lanes.

Now just need to decide which is the best fit. Think I prefer the look of the Handmade but it is it too light/consistent?

iOS Image - 1571414219.jpg
iOS Image - 748544514.jpg
iOS Image - 283426517.jpg

Hi Guys

Did you manage to find a match for the bricks? I have the same issue with mines
LZQnz52.jpg

lfdrZ0w.jpg
eXiEKK9.jpg

Yes. We went with (Freshfield Lane) FLB First Quality Multi and were very happy with the result. Should be a decent match for you too i'd have thought.

New on the left, original on the right.

bricks.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back