Bring back the death penalty...

Sponsored Links
What a shame, hes a really nice guy and after all hes been through and done, it was a cruel blow.

i hope the drunken scumbag gets summary justice in jail.

Sponsored Links
don't you think there are more serious crimes worthy of capital punishment such as murder, rape, paedophilia etc?

I don't know about capital punishment, but as I see it, quaffing alcohol when you are going to drive, is no more responsible that poking a gun out of the window and firing a few shots at random. With luck, you won't kill anyone, and you might not get caught.

it's the first drink that does the damage, after that you've weakened your resolve not to have a second, and a third.

I don't know about capital punishment, but as I see it, quaffing alcohol when you are going to drive, is no more responsible that poking a gun out of the window and firing a few shots at random. With luck, you won't kill anyone, and you might not get caught.

it's the first drink that does the damage, after that you've weakened your resolve not to have a second, and a third.

Which is one of the reasons I would totally support a 100% ban on drink/driving. Some people can't even drink 1 pint/1 short/1 glass of wine without their judgement being seriously impaired.
Research has proved that no-one drives better after a drink. They may be more relaxed, they may even be more alert! But the crucial factor is that their reactions times to a given situation have ALWAYS been slower!

I'll see if I can dig out a link.

It is all too easy to forget the amount of energy involved in a moving vehicle. It only takes a second or two trying to push start a car, or stop it rolling downhill when a handbrake isn't engaged properly (for example) to appreciate the forces and momentum involved, quite apart from the dangers of fireball effects from spilt petrol.

For anyone to even consider attempting to drive in anything less than 100% compos mentis is a sign of complete and utter contempt for public safety (more contempt in fact that a case involving individual rape, murder or paedophilia).

Rant over.

some years ago a friend of mine lost his beautiful wife and 3 small children when a drunk driver mounted the pavement and wiped them all out. He couldn't bear the grief and he topped himself.
The consequences of drinking and driving are far-reaching.

A bit of a kneejerk reaction there. People die everyday from all sorts of things, Some fall off ladders and die. Should we therefore ban ladders?
Most car accidents where people are killed involve drivers who haven't had a drop to drink. OK lets ban driving. That will stop pedestrians being killed (unless they are killed by cyclists, horses, cattle, wild animals, etc etc .. )
The fact that pedestrians get killed, means we should now ban pedestrians

Ok Drink drivers who actually kill or maim someone, deserve prison, but to bring back the death penalty, is a bit severe.

Tell you what, why don't we ban anything that's considered dangerous??
Put's paid to your foreign holiday then! Flying, travelling on a ship, travelling in a car, taxi etc is inherently unsafe.
Taken to it's extreme, actually venturing outside your front door is unsafe,,, So let's all stay indoors, starve to death (as no one can now deliver anything)
According to H&S Executive, building sites are very dangerous !!! Let's stop building new homes.
Also most accidents happen in the home,, Get my drift?? Lets all live in caves.

Yeah Right. Pfffffffttttttttttt

i've re-read the posts, JJ and I'm not sure which one you're referring to as a knee-jerk reaction.

What a shame, hes a really nice guy and after all hes been through and done, it was a cruel blow.

i hope the drunken scumbag gets summary justice in jail.
probably not what he would like
a neice or nephew maybe once removed is still family
nelson is absoluty full off forginess throught his life[including his jailers] so he wont cast a stone against his own family easily
we also need to be carefull and not believe what we read in the press untill we know its true

I've been a professional driver ever since I took my test. The day after, I was put in the works van and sent out on the road on my own, to do my job.

But when I get in a car with anybody, friends, family, they scare me half to death at half the moves they make...and they are sober. Young and Old, I feel scared when they drive me. People that have driven for 40 years, or just passed their test. They make basic errors all of them.

Introduce beer to that - lethal, not that they are already. Such poor standards of driving in general.

A good test I think, is to drive one vehicle, get used to it, then swap into a different vehicle, and drive it properly.

One of my bugbears however is that Astra, and BMW indicators don't self cancel properly, and my car, Celica, has the indicators on the 'wrong' side, even in production the Celica swapped sides for the indicators, so you can approach a junction, and flip on your wipers, instead of your indicators!

Introduce beer to that - lethal, not that they are already. Such poor standards of driving in general.
Absolutely. As previously indicated, it is essential for a driver to have a clear recognition of the power of the big, heavy metal box that he/she is hurtling around at life-threatening speeds (and I'm not even referring to excessive or illegal ones) and the damage that it can do.

OK, the death penalty may be harsh, but something that is extremely serious and harsh(reflecting murder and attempted murder and not manslaughter / bodily harm), since a defence of "ignorance" or "diminuished responsibility" can hold no water whatsoever.

Sponsored Links
Back