New increased fixed penalty fines

But you are wrong there pred.

If I am driving along in the middle lane (for whatever reason) it is my lane for a reasonable distance ahead, I have "right of way" in that lane over vehicles in other lanes..

So you're driving along the middle. What is the middle lane for??[/quote]

It's a lane for pensioners with a hat on and brain dead people/drivers who have somehow passed their driving test .
It is also for slowing traffic down and frustrating other drivers.

Unlike other countries-- here in UK we are not allowed to 'undertake' --but if we do--and are spotted by the motorway 40k a year Mafia in uniforms-- we are made to feel welcome- and contribute to
their xmas parties and pension funds.

Sponsored Links
It's not so much lorry drivers overtaking each other (although I have never in my twenty years on the motorways seen one "indicating for 5 minutes" - they do indicate, but generally only for a few seconds before pulling out anyway), it is the "elephant race" that follows - sometimes literally minutes of 55 vs 55.1 mph jousting, while the entire motorway behind for a good distance tries to cram into one lane, to get past. Get a couple on the A38 around B-o-T, and you're knacked.
And while we are generalising, I would bet that the drivers who as a group leave the least distance to the vehicle in front are..........you can guess the rest yourself.

It is perfectly true that there are idiots driving vehicles of all types on our roads (to say nothing of the selfish cyclists), but I do agree about lorry drivers monopolising two-thirds of the motorway, sometimes for miles.

Ideally, we would have separate motorways for slow goods vehicles and other traffic, but this is never going to happen. A more feasible alternative would be to increase motorway lanes to four, only the inner two being available to lorry drivers. Again, this is unlikely to happen.

I wonder whether the rules could be changed such that lorries (or any vehicle) would only be allowed to overtake if they are able to do so at a speed differential of 5mph.

It would help if Tesco trucks weren't limited to 49.5MPH

I wonder whether the rules could be changed such that lorries (or any vehicle) would only be allowed to overtake if they are able to do so at a speed differential of 5mph.[/quote]
That would rule out a certain Liverpool banger driver - in his clapped out DOBBBBBLO :LOL:

Lorry drivers are ok- (to a point) They have to meet targets re- driving hours and will 'for sure' be frustrated by idiot middle lane huggers .
of course- there are also the lorry drivers 'small driver' in a big Lorry thing .
When one of such drivers gets up my arrrrse-within the usual 6' distance- -I just slow down and box him in.
And- if he wants to make a big thing of it-- I indicate to pull in to hard shoulder-- and see if he follows .
Of course- they never do .

I think it would be good if we fitted cameras to back shelf of our vehicles- and record their behaviour and driving 'no' style and take it to police .

Sponsored Links
I wonder whether the rules could be changed such that lorries (or any vehicle) would only be allowed to overtake if they are able to do so at a speed differential of 5mph.
That would rule out a certain Liverpool banger driver - in his clapped out DOBBBBBLO :LOL:

Lorry drivers are ok- (to a point) They have to meet targets re- driving hours and will 'for sure' be frustrated by idiot middle lane huggers .
of course- there are also the lorry drivers 'small driver' in a big Lorry thing .
When one of such drivers gets up my arrrrse-within the usual 6' distance- -I just slow down and box him in.
And- if he wants to make a big thing of it-- I indicate to pull in to hard shoulder-- and see if he follows .

I think it would be good if we fitted cameras to back shelf of our vehicles- and record their behaviour and driving 'no' style and take it to police .[/quote]

Funny you should mention that about fitting cameras, they have started fitting them to trucks, about four of them, they are installed to record any bad driving by the truck driver, ie; harsh braking, fast cornering etc. but they will also record the idiots on the road that should not be there.

Come to think of it, when you all took your test, how many of you were tested on the motorway? Without looking it up how many different cats eyes are there on the motorway, where are the different colours used? Without looking it up??

I think it would be good if we fitted cameras to back shelf of our vehicles- and record their behaviour and driving 'no' style and take it to police .

Funny you should mention that about fitting cameras, they have started fitting them to trucks, about four of them, they are installed to record any bad driving by the truck driver, ie; harsh braking, fast cornering etc. but they will also record the idiots on the road that should not be there.

Come to think of it, when you all took your test, how many of you were tested on the motorway? Without looking it up how many different cats eyes are there on the motorway, where are the different colours used? Without looking it up??[/quote]

Being totally honest
I just HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE. :oops:

ps-- not many Motorways built when I passed MY test. :)

Part of the driving test for British truck drivers is on the motorway, unlike car drivers taking their test on a nice quiet back road that the driving instructor took them along half a dozen times or more! And the very same day, as long as they passed, they are unleashed onto the motorway network, and you query as to the amount of accidents.

We have adopted everything else from Germany, soon we are to have a two year MOT as has been in use in Germany since before 1974, why not adopt their driving test? Half a day doing a first aid course, knowing basic mechanics, how to change a wheel and put oil in the engine etc, X amount of hours night driving, X amount of hours motorway driving and then you are put through your test.

Part of the driving test for British truck drivers is on the motorway, unlike car drivers taking their test on a nice quiet back road that the driving instructor took them along half a dozen times or more! And the very same day, as long as they passed, they are unleashed onto the motorway network, and you query as to the amount of accidents.

We have adopted everything else from Germany, soon we are to have a two year MOT as has been in use in Germany since before 1974, why not adopt their driving test? Half a day doing a first aid course, knowing basic mechanics, how to change a wheel and put oil in the engine etc, X amount of hours night driving, X amount of hours motorway driving and then you are put through your test.

SOON we are having a 2 year MOT ? Really ?

I'm getting real confused now .
Pred has a go at internet dating
Pred is chatting to me in a civilised way on crap drivers etc.

Pred loves sooey
THEN Pred dont like sooey.
what's the deal ? hahah.

Is it the way I read it ?.

I'd go along with that. I think we'd have far fewer incompetent drivers on the roads, although not necessarily fewer idiots. I'm thinking about boy racers and BMW drivers, especially.

Of course, one drawback that immediately springs to mind is that such a test would be an ideal excuse to screw us for a lot more money.

I asked a lorry driver once why it is that they overtake other lorries at 1mph faster. He told me that it was done in protest because they are not allowed to do over 60mph. His words, I don't know if that's true or not.

Sponsored Links
Back