British Gas Hive control packed up so no heating till thurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,Our Hive control has packed up today ( The NO RF message ) After speaking to the helpline they said it sounds like the receiver by the boiler has packed in , no lights on it at all.
Worst of all though is they say they cant get an engineer to us till Thursday , i explained that we have no heating or hot water, my partner is disabled and is suffering with a chest infection but he said it doesnt matter, thursday is the best they can do.

We simply cant manage till then so i need to by pass the hive control to get the boiler working , can anyone advise which wires to connect to where to bypass the hive control ?
The back plate is currently wired as :

1. Neutral from feed and to boiler
2. Live feed and brown to boiler
3. Black to boiler
4. empty
5. grey to boiler
6. empty

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there is power to the receiver? Take it nothing happens when you press the buttons on it? From the wiring you describe it looks like you have a combi boiler?

Are you sure there is power to the receiver? Take it nothing happens when you press the buttons on it? From the wiring you describe it looks like you have a combi boiler?

hi, thanks for reply, Yes tested with a tester screwdriver , power ok to receiver and light on boiler aswell. Just no life in receiver, pressed and held button in for ages no lights at all. went through various switching on and off scenarios on the phone to Hive help but nothing.
Yes its a combi

With it being a combi your hot water should still work even with the receiver being faulty.

Sponsored Links
That is odd!

British Gas advertise that they get to 95% of customers the same day when they call in by 11 am.

But Thursday is two days in advance!

The Advertising Standards should investigate.

Simple maths dictates he is one of the 5%....albeit twice. That 95% is probably calculated across the whole year.....it's getting to the time of year where some areas will struggle to get close to that.

I'm more surprised by the mere mention of the D word the call centre didn't attempt to give just about every engineer in the company a phone to turn up on call.....that's what happened when I was on call anyway.

All of my boiler repair customers are disabled, over ninety and have a six month old baby!

That 95% is probably calculated across the whole year.....it's getting to the time of year where some areas will struggle to get close to that.

I see it as rather misleading to advertise that at this time of year when they are taking 2-3 days.

Once I saw this 83 y.o. standing in the hall of her flat for two days because she did not want to miss BG when they came to fix her heating.

That 95% is probably calculated across the whole year.....it's getting to the time of year where some areas will struggle to get close to that.

I see it as rather misleading to advertise that at this time of year when they are taking 2-3 days.

Once I saw this 83 y.o. standing in the hall of her flat for two days because she did not want to miss BG when they came to fix her heating.
You watched an old lady stand in her hall for two days? That's terrible. You could of at least got her a chair...where were you watching from, through the letterbox?

• Thanks
Reactions: DH6
What boiler do you have? Might be easier to help you put it in "service mode" if possible to give you temporary heating. Save any rewiring.

P.S. If you ring BG back and complain you will almost certainly get a visit today. Even if it means on call tonight (disability will allow them to do this). If not then DEFINITELY tomorrow. There is absolutely no excuse for not getting a call within 24hrs given your circumstances, I know how the system works.

Hive. "While you control your heating at home!" NOT!

The more complicated you make it the more there is to go wrong.

Simple timer under 5 quid from local supermarket.

:rolleyes:

In that case what you've said applies to ANY wireless thermostat of any kind because it's his receiver which is faulty. Hive or not this could have happened.

Like all companies advertising an average, they rely on the stupidity of the general public and their inability to understand what an average actually is.

:rolleyes:

In that case what you've said applies to ANY wireless thermostat of any kind because it's his receiver which is faulty. Hive or not this could have happened.

That was his point surely? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back