British Gas Homecare - Free Boiler Replacement - Choices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My boiler (Ideal H30 - 6 years old), has been ruled beyond economical repair.

They tried to sell me a new install, cost = £2900. I have their formal quote in writing. They recommended a Wocester Bosch (model 30si) for this house in quote.

After this - I did research.

We infact, do qualify for a free boiler replacement.

We meet all the conditions. Spoke to them - they confirmed, you are entitled to free boiler replacement.

My question:

For the free replacement, they want to use a different boiler than the one recommended in the quote. As my current boiler (ideal HE30) is no longer manufactured, they want to replace it with the closest model (Ideal Logic 30HE).

Ideals boilers , get very poor ratings when I've looked (e.g Which? Gas boilers owners' views score = 59%). It has a low reliability rating (below 60%).

I would like to get a different boiler fitted. I would like to know what my options are, and what my rights are.

1.How could I viably challenge their choice of the replacement ( now an Ideal H30 instead of the Worcester that they initially recommended). (Preferred).

2.If not, how can I get them to make xxxx funds avaliable, I chip in more - to get the one I want- i.e. their costs remain the same ,but, I make up the difference.(Acceptable).

3.If not what approach can I take take, to get them to send me cheque instead for the value of the boiler - I will chip in more and buy a new one myself.(Worst case).

I'm not bashing BG. Nothing like it. Just want to create a win win solution.

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
i dont think your in any position to challenge anything. If you get a new boiler out of them it will be completely on their terms. I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden they decided your boiler can be repaired to save them giving you a new boiler.
The only one of your options which maybe, just maybe possible is chipping in some money to get the model you want, but, I would imagine its a no go as they probably just don't have a process set up for this situation.

Sponsored Links
Nowt wrong with the logic but with the terms BG get from worcester id have thought fitting a worcester would have been the cheaper (for BG) option.

How broken is the current ideal? Iv not had one beyond repair yet.

Hi all,

1.How could I viably challenge their choice of the replacement ( now an Ideal H30 instead of the Worcester that they initially recommended). (Preferred).

2.If not, how can I get them to make xxxx funds avaliable, I chip in more - to get the one I want- i.e. their costs remain the same ,but, I make up the difference.(Acceptable).

3.If not what approach can I take take, to get them to send me cheque instead for the value of the boiler - I will chip in more and buy a new one myself.(Worst case).

I'm not bashing BG. Nothing like it. Just want to create a win win solution.

Thanks all.

They are offering you a free boiler and you want to challenge it. You don't know when you are onto a good thing.
Take it.

If I were in charge in this government you'd get nothing.
This is what is wrong with this country.

Can't understand why they've suggested an Ideal, they get a better deal on Worcester.

If you wanted to supply your own boiler they can fit it as an upgrade (this will make sense to whoever you're dealing with.

You've done well to get a new boiler out of them.

They are offering you a free boiler and you want to challenge it. You don't know when you are onto a good thing.
Take i

This is what is wrong with this country.[/quote]

What!! It isn't a "free "boiler - it is a contractual right as BG have decided that the cost of a repair to their old one outweighs the cost of a new one. I assume. BG are happy taking the dosh when nothing goes wrong.

6 Years! is that all? is this a joke or something? if assuming your old boiler lasted 6 years then it means it cost you well over 500 pounds per year, plus any servicing charges on top, so add another 100 quid,

Now I have no idea who would throw their money 600 quid a year in depreciation of their boiler, you can actually get a new boiler for 600 quid.

dcawkwell:
Take i

This is what is wrong with this country.

FiremanT:
What!! It isn't a "free "boiler - it is a contractual right as BG have decided that the cost of a repair to their old one outweighs the cost of a new one. I assume. BG are happy taking the dosh when nothing goes wrong.

Nail on the head FiremanT. The boiler was insured under a Homecare insurance policy with BG. We've been paying subscriptions since the boiler was fitted, and now, as it's been ruled beyond economical repair, it is BG that have obliged to replace it.

In truth it's not free, to enable us to have this option, we've had to pay 6 years of instalments.

Everyone, your contributions are really helping me focus my thinking. Please keep your wisdom coming.

I think I need to reconsider the logic boilers, based on your contributions in this thread.

So now my mind turns to the Logic plus with 7 year warranty. If I can chip in the extra for that - then I think its a worthwhile shot.[/i]

Whilst none of us are likely to know the exact terms that BG purchase Ideal boilers on but they may be for large numbers of the cheaper model with no option to take the better version available to them at such cheap prices.

When something looks to be free there are often so many bad aspects of the offer that many dont take them up.

Tony

You've all convinced me to accept the Logic. I'm in. Thanks!

But I'm not passed the finish line just yet.

Please help me prepare. There're fitting it on Friday, what do I need to get checked, what should I do to ensure, to get the best for my family.

A.Which filtration system would you recommend? (magnaclean, magnaclean twintech, fernox etc.)
B. Who should be providing it
C. The inhibitor? should this be part of the install process, who should provide it ?

I don't know what I will do without these forums.

Guys keep the advice coming please.

many many thanks,

SirLancealot

A filter will be an optional extra

Inhibitor is part of the commissioning process and is flushing of the system.

I'm assuming you have to stay on contract with them in order to get this "free" boiler

Get a Gov. sponsored boiler - made in a Remploy factory :mrgreen:

I don't see it matters what boiler they fit if they are to continue looking after it, for a fee of course.

Why should the OP care how reliable it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back