British Gas Homecare

rayman666 said:
we will only fit genuine parts from suppliers instead of you average plumber who would botch it up.
We can't let you get away with that! There are independent heating engineers who post here who have the initiative to source the correct parts from alternative suppliers when they're no longer available through normal channels. BG, for all their corporate might and advertising budget, can't get it together to do this.

Sponsored Links
rayman66666 said:
as an engineer for BG and reading into all the above i think that the cover is good and not just because i work for them its because the amount of boilers visited everyday and the parts replaced add up to a stupid amount and the reason we deem boilers obsolete is because we will only fit genuine parts from suppliers instead of you average plumber who would botch it up.
Quite frankly thats a load of patronising *******s.

the other thing to mention, is there are other chices than BG, such as domestic and general etc....

most of their work (well the baxi/potterton stuff), is carried out by the manufacturers, and i believe the platinum cover will cover your rads and trv's......

jasonvaughan said:
the other thing to mention, is there are other chices than BG, such as domestic and general etc....

most of their work (well the baxi/potterton stuff), is carried out by the manufacturers, and i believe the platinum cover will cover your rads and trv's......

That is true, though I believe the only company coming close to Bg are probably powergen with respect to extent of the cover...it's a desperate and fast flowing market though and moving very quickly.

Sponsored Links
That is true, though I believe the only company coming close to Bg are probably powergen with respect to extent of the cover

you might find that the admin for the powergen cover is done by domestic and general, so in theory its the same, although the price might be different, so aggree with youre point.... :LOL: :LOL:

I heard that they are now looking at getting in on lots of other trades too.
Painting & Decorating / Tiling / Building Work/ Roofing.

I think the top and bottom of it is that most people can't be arsed or just don't have the time to ring round trying to get someone to sort their problems.
BG know that, and offer their service at a premium

In fairness to BG their Engineers are salary paid so its not in the individuals intrest to 'fob' a customer off as there is no personal financial incentive for doing so. Like all major workforces they have good and bad employees but each engineer has the back up and support of other engineers to finish a job if required. They also have a lot more support of Manufacturers than we private heating engineers get. They have dedicated support lines at Worcester, Baxi/potterton and glowworm.

The intallations they install ARE pricy but im yet to see a cheap boiler installed and that boiler to be poorly installed and not conforming to current regs. A pricey job yes, a quality job yes. The customer pays their money and takes their choice....so what.

I worked 8 happy years for BG and I stand by them. The management however is a different matter!! I chose to leave after calling my so called Boss a pregnant fish. Which he was!

Many of my customers are ex-BG contract holders, some are even current BG !!!
The biggest complaints are impersonal service with a different fitter calling on each visit, so no-one knows their system, having to have multiple visits for the same job because problems are not accurately dignosed first time, and whenever spare parts are needed another appointment is needed and the customer needs another half day off work (remember Penster?).
One of my customers (on BG service contract) has paid me to diagnose in the evening before getting BG in to do the repair and bring the right parts with them :!:

On the plus side the customer gets a fixed cost and BG generally get there in the end. They don't go on holiday (apart from a few days around Christmas) and they (nearly) always turn up.

Must say that BG lads are ok, and witht he millions of customers they have we really only get a tiny minority coming to us independents

so you pay yer money yer takes yer choice

Right so I have signed up today. How long do you think I should leave it before getting my rads looked at. I think the system needs rebalancing.

They'll probably tell you the system's sludged up and needs power flushing - not covered of course, an extra £440!

You are probably right. I will brace myself for a powerflush from my purse then.

BG fitted our combi and heating, and we have the cover too, and we've called them out about 10 times in 2 years!! They are reliable and fixed most problems, they also cover other stuff like your electrics, and water and drains!

One thing they dont seem to cover is the Stop cock though, yeh the expensive bit to fix, lol.

I would question why BG had to come out 10 times in two years after fitting a combi?

As to BGs stranglehold on the industry, I agree it often looks that way to us independents but they dont! They employ only 5% of the CORGI registered people.

After a client said BG could not provide an air flow sensor for a Potty Lynx, I got one on the second call from stock at Plumbase T&T.

And to the Alien, saying you could not get a heating engineer on a Sunday except from Norwich is nonsence. Did you call us? We would have charged a £94 fixed diagnostic fee. Did the £150 per hour charge for travelling time or was it just for the time spent on site?

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back