British Gas

I meant tw*t with an I

My reasoning was as follows....

Boiler parts obsolete (burners) which was causing the fault. Injectors were my next point of attention as I I cant replace burners, BUT it can alter the mixture that goes in. (injectors worn and obsolete aswell)

Whilst Im sure my customer... If she had to, would replace the boiler and have to pay an engineer to do it, I thought Id attempt to make a repair.

So...solder over injectors and redrill a perfectly straight hole with a 2mm drill bit to improve the venturi into the burners.

Rate boiler to ensure input was satisfactory, andjusting gas pressure if neccessary (but not exceeding min/max pressures on W/house plate)

Analyse combustion to see if boiler is combusting properly.

It was a success and we all know you'll never reach 200 c at the injectores even if the valve was to go on 'a go slow'.

But anyone who has had their solder ment when trying this post me.

David

Sponsored Links
soggy wrote:
But anyone who has had their solder ment when trying this post me.

I honestly don't think anyone else will have done it

But.... i could be wrong.

Anyone?

meldrew's_mate said:
CORGI are a waste of space when it comes to chasing down the rogue plumbers and builders.
I'm curious - why do you believe that it's CORGI's duty to police the industry and root out the rogues?

Softus said:
meldrew's_mate said:
CORGI are a waste of space when it comes to chasing down the rogue plumbers and builders.
I'm curious - why do you believe that it's CORGI's duty to police the industry and root out the rogues?

Because they have set themselves up as the guaranors of reliable workmanship in the publics eyes in all areas of plumbing and heating especially with those silly new cards and if you're masqurading as something then you should live up to expectations.

Sponsored Links
so have I done wrong in trying to 'put an engineers head on' and repair this fault?

I do appreciate all engineers input on this.

David

scatman said:
I honestly don't think anyone else will have done it
But.... i could be wrong. Anyone?
Many, many years ago, before I knew any better, I replaced a broken ceramic injector with a lump of Grip-fill which I poked a pin through to make the hole. Once set I fitted it back into the AGA (classy job!) and it worked, sort of.

I shudder to think about this now (and certain other gas related escapades of my youth - don't even ask). I guess Corgi and the Gas Safety Regulations have had a sobering and beneficial affect on me at least. :oops:

corgiman said:
Hate to agree with pillock here nut nowt will probably come of it, but that should not stop u doing it

you think you know it all but you come across as a big mouth know it all ****.as tony would say ,your just an armchair plumber.

Soggy_weetabix said:
so have I done wrong in trying to 'put an engineers head on' and repair this fault?

I do appreciate all engineers input on this.

David

To be honest yes, there is no scope for proper repairs in this industry simply part changing. The repair you have done is a modification and not one (i presume) authorised by the manufacturers. Why do you feel a desperate need to help out a customer who has a boiler with no parts available?, as long as they are advised to the age of the appliance and the availability of parts from an early stage they have plenty of time to save for a replacement if they choose not to the whos fault is that??

ollski said:
Softus said:

Because they have set themselves up as the guaranors of reliable workmanship in the publics eyes in all areas of plumbing and heating especially with those silly new cards and if you're masqurading as something then you should live up to expectations.
I don't think that's the reality of the situation. CORGI is licensed by the HSE to do what it does, namely to administer the only countrywide register of competent gas operatives.

The information is plainly written on the CORGI gas safety web site, and I've found nothing there that indicates that CORGI set itself up as guarantor of anything, whether in the public's eyes or otherwise - I don't believe there is any masquerading going on, except on this kind of topic whereby CORGI is unwittingly lofted onto the collective shoulder of the righteously indignant.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a gas police force of some kind, just that CORGI has not been authorised to be it, and does not claim to be it.

british gas have now gone to the agencies to get rid of the back log of annual servicing, and they are paying £11 an appliance and the same for bbu + fire, this is the kind of scum they are they are, stealing work with there gold plans and then getting subies to do there work for them which they where put on the dole que in the first place.

DONT BE A MUG keep away and yes its temp work what a fu...in clown set up these guys are....... thay are taking the pi........ssss

B.O.B DOLE said:
british gas have now gone to the agencies to get rid of the back log of annual servicing, and they are paying £11 an appliance and the same for bbu + fire, this is the kind of scum they are they are, stealing work with there gold plans and then getting subies to do there work for them which they where put on the dole que in the first place.

DONT BE A MUG keep away and yes its temp work what a fu...in clown set up these guys are....... thay are taking the pi........ssss

They have always done it bob, it's nothing new. Bg and independants are all swings and roundabouts, there are no shortage of heating engineers telling customers to get a job fixed for bgs fixed price on a nightmare job and then to come back to them after. Where did you get that price from?, it was nearly twice that last year.

ollski said:
B.O.B DOLE said:

They have always done it bob, it's nothing new. Bg and independants are all swings and roundabouts, there are no shortage of heating engineers telling customers to get a job fixed for bgs fixed price on a nightmare job and then to come back to them after. Where did you get that price from?, it was nearly twice that last year.

the price was from one of these pirate job agencies (maindate) this is the trouble whith these leeches they are turning us into there slaves and anyone working for these scum are scabs.........

[
it was nearly twice that last year.[/quote]

was this working direct for them as a subie are was it through a job slave agencie.

lor said:
corgiman said:
Hate to agree with pillock here nut nowt will probably come of it, but that should not stop u doing it

you think you know it all but you come across as a big mouth know it all ****.as tony would say ,your just an armchair plumber.

yep thats me I am rubbish and crap etc etc, that make you feel better?

In my defence I am not a know it all at all, I like to think that I am some but I know I will never know it all, I will leave that to supermen like you lor

B.O.B DOLE said:
[
it was nearly twice that last year.

was this working direct for them as a subie are was it through a job slave agencie.[/quote]

yes bob it was, I was getting about 18 plus VAT per boiler for them last year?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back