British press outrage at support for anti-Semite

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
The UK papers filled their front pages with criticisms of the political party that supported Orban.

Oooopps, my mistake. They didn't.

I wonder why?

"Conservative MEPs have given their support to the authoritarian government of Viktor Orban in a crunch vote in the European Parliament.

Almost all of the politicians representing
Theresa May’s party voted against a motion to censure the Hungarian leader, which in the end was overwhelmingly passed.

Their support for the right-wing leader – accused of violating press freedoms, undermining judicial independence and waging an antisemitic campaign against a leading Jewish businessman – was attacked by Ms May’s critics in the UK."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...european-parliament-theresa-may-a8534401.html

Is the clue in the first word of the report?

Sponsored Links
It was about voting for article 7 against Hungary

The Tories were not the only MEPs voting against: 197 voted against...

It was garnering support for Brexit:

The Conservatives, who lined up with the continent’s far-right, argued the motion was “politicised” and counterproductive, but critics at home accused them of deliberately cosying up to Mr Orban to win his support in Brexit talks.

Arriving in Strasbourg, a grateful Mr Orban heaped praise on the British government, telling reporters: “We would like to have a fair Brexit because we love the British and because we cooperated always well – and you deserve a good deal, a fair deal.”

Perhaps JohnD is using it to deflect away from Labours anti Semitism (n)

To much shouldn't be read into Tory support for Orban.
After all Winston Churchill supported Stalin against German domination of Europe but that didn't make Churchill a communist.

Sponsored Links
Another interesting phenomenon is the growing number of alt right figures who declare themselves as Zionists , Israeli flags at right wing protests look out of place,
Could be these groups have adopted the principle of "my enemies enemy is my friend" in relation to Muslims.

Back