British / Scottish Gas Engineers Please Read

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you advise if, when carrying out annual boiler services, you include all of these steps?

- inlet gas pressure readings taken
- gas rate of the boiler at high and low rates
- a flue gas analysis and inspection
- spark and detection electrodes to be cleaned
- main heat exchanger to be cleaned
- where necessary clean of condensate trap and drain and vacuum of boiler
- all relevant readings are taken

If not, appears as though I'll need to look elsewhere for my annual service to ensure new boiler warranty remains intact.

Sponsored Links
Which make of boiler is that? If you have a BG contract then BG come out to fix it no matter what level of service has been done. In most cases, the BG annual visit is a safety check rather than a service. Most BG engineers are clued up about the weak points of different models and will check the obvious to avoid breakdowns.

If you have a new boiler under warranty then why have you got a BG contract?

on a service what needs doing depends on the boiler, most modern dont need the heat cell to be cracked open and cleaned out every year but if its an older boiler then it should be cleaned especially if it has a cast iron hex.

The manufacturers instructions should be followed, simple.

If you are getting an MOT carried out on your car, are you hoping it will be serviced?

OR,

If you book a service, only get a safety check, then bet you will be upset

Would appear lot of contracts are breakdown only with annual safety check carried out

Sponsored Links
Bg/sg have their own in house procedures.

Bare minimum checks that a gas safety check needs. From regulations 26/9.

Fluing
Ventilation
Safety devices
Gas rate/burner/inlet pressure

Some engineers may go a bit further but that's up to them.

As said, more of a safety check than a service.

They actually changed the wording in their adverts a while back to something along the lines of "gas safety inspection" rather than service. Don't know if this is still the case.

Can you advise if, when carrying out annual boiler services, you include all of these steps?

If not, appears as though I'll need to look elsewhere for my annual service to ensure new boiler warranty remains intact.

Some manufacturers don't accept BG's safety check as a service when push comes to shove, however as stated above BG don't really care for this as they do their own repairs and don't rely on warranties.

Thanks for replies guys. It's an Ideal boiler and they advised to keep 7 year warranty intact the listed checks need completed and documented annually. They further advised BG annual service/check unlikely to suffice.

Reason I normally take out BG HomeCare is cause the properties are rented out and, for me, the basic monthly cover is worth it to give tenant a 24/7 single point of contact should boiler or rads fail. The boiler warranty obviously only covers the boiler so I'd still probably look to take out HomeCare even though the boiler's new.

I suppose what one or two of you are hinting at is if taking out HomeCare (unlimited call outs and repairs - with £50 excess) then it's essentially irrelevant if manufacturer warranty is intact or not? Cause if it fails, BG will repair it anyway?

Certainly for their Landlord cover, BG still refer to it as an annual boiler 'service.'

Thanks for replies guys. It's an Ideal boiler and they advised to keep 7 year warranty intact the listed checks need completed and documented annually. They further advised BG annual service/check unlikely to suffice.

Reason I normally take out BG HomeCare is cause the properties are rented out and, for me, the basic monthly cover is worth it to give tenant a 24/7 single point of contact should boiler or rads fail. The boiler warranty obviously only covers the boiler so I'd still probably look to take out HomeCare even though the boiler's new.

I suppose what one or two of you are hinting at is if taking out HomeCare (unlimited call outs and repairs - with £50 excess) then it's essentially irrelevant if manufacturer warranty is intact or not? Cause if it fails, BG will repair it anyway?

Certainly for their Landlord cover, BG still refer to it as an annual boiler 'service.'

Have you not considered using one of your local RGIs, support the local community & get to know the people around you. It's amazing how having a friendly local guy can help with so many things & Fife is full of good tradesmen.
These national companies are a complete rip off!!

As long as you don't mind being bent over for 7 years by BG..... Because if you drop their policy and then rely on the manufacturer's, then you are shafted.

Painting oneself into a corner methinks.

If it's an Ideal Logic I'd charge around £70 to carry out that type of service. I work periodically all over Fife - Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes, Leven, Crossgates, St Andrews etc etc. If I can help PM me.

Thanks for replies guys. Like any type of insurance, I know things like BG HomeCare can seem like a waste of cash, but at around £15 per month (granted with £50 excess) I don't think it's extortionate and gives my tenants a single point of contact 24/7 i.e. it saves me hassle. I'd like to have an arrangement with a local heating engineer but there are scenarios like 'away on hols' or 'in bed with man flu' that mean I then have the hassle of finding someone else.

However that's in properties with older boilers. Given this one is new, I might forego HomeCare and simply stick with the annual service and warranty for first 7 years.

Thanks for offer Richard, engineer that fitted the boiler does annual services for £60 ;) mind you I'll check to ensure he covers everything required by Ideal.

Can't see a local plumber or ideal coming out at 1am to an uncontainable water leak.;)

BG cover has its pros and cons. For landlords it can be invaluable and you just add the homecare costs into your rent charge.

is it £ 50 excess i thought it was £99 or is that an older contract . pablo is that right or am i talking shyte

Can't see a local plumber or ideal coming out at 1am to an uncontainable water leak.;)

BG cover has its pros and cons. For landlords it can be invaluable and you just add the homecare costs into your rent charge.

Why not?? Lots have 24/7 cover!!
With BG you'll get some kid lead by the nose by his laptop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back