Britony Cobi 80 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I hope there's someone out there that may be able to help me.

I've got a Britony Combi which this morning started to (attempt) fire up on its own accord. I came home to hear the boiler whirring away but the timer was off so there was no reason for it to be doing this. There was no heat in the radiators and no orange light on the front of the boiler.

i turned the boiler off and then back on again and it did the same thing. it then stopped for a while but has started up another couple of times without any explanation that i can think of.

hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Have you a dripping tap or leak on a hot water pipe somewhere?

Does this combi have some form of pre-heat for the hot water?

there's no leaks with tas or pipes, and (as far as i'm aware) there's no pre-heat for the hot water.

Things have now developed in the fact that when i turn the boiler on normally for C/H. it fires up for 5 seconds or so then cuts out.

He doesn't tell us which model, but the normal combis don't have any preheat. However the SE version has an integral frost stat so it could possibly be that, although I would suspect a faulty flow switch on the older version.

Sponsored Links
He doesn't tell us which model, but the normal combis don't have any preheat. However the SE version has an integral frost stat so it could possibly be that, although I would suspect a faulty flow switch on the older version.

By model do you mean the fact its a Combi 80? or where you looking for more?

seems that i now have really hot water, but no C/H

i can only think of one thing that i fitted on these and it was a pcb but i think you will be looking at the flow switch if its playing up then it will be sending the wrong signals and firing up

be careful if its firing up on h/w when no taps open and its not circulating ,then it will be red hot at the boiler,is the pump running when it fires on itsa own

its not really firing up at all. as an example.

My timer box is currently off, however when i turn the boiler setting from off to HW and CH, it turns itself on but the pump doesnt ignite (orange light on front). If it turn timer to constant use and the boiler settings to HW only, it fires up when i run the tap but the water is far hotter than normal. If i turn the setting to HW and CH, the boiler/pump ignites for 5 seconds before cutting out.

but the pump doesnt ignite .
I should hope not. That would be a bit disastrous. The orange light indicates that the gas has ignited at the burner.

If you want to fix this yourself you'll need a manual and a fair amount of practical ability. Best to download the one for the Baxi Genesis from the Baxi site - it's the same boiler but the Baxi manual is more detailed.

Turn off the power, take off the case, hinge down the controls panel.

At the centre towards the back you will see a knurled circular device.

Unclip the brown wires and test the continuity of the flow sensor.

Not uncommon to find the reed switch inside is shorted despite the hot taps being closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back