Broadband Telephone Line Issues

your best option is to get an engineer out who knows area.
when they are sent out they will have an order which will tell them exacly how long your line is.
BB speed depends on line length but also diameter of copper used.
on average BB will work upto 9km but wont be fast.
also the engineer will only check up until the NTE and not past it.
if you want it checked after NTE you will be charged.

if you are being told that your line is long, chances are it is.

as far as sky is concerned they do not supply all exchange areas with their BB. if they do not they will charge more for their package as they have to rent the equipment from another provider. they will supply sky router which is probably what you are picking up.

you should get an engineer to visit its the best and easiest option

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the replies and hope everyone had a good bank holiday weekend.

I got a new phone number installed but as I keep getting calls for a Mr Sunderland I strongely suspect BT have just re-used a previous number for another area in Sheffield and this might be throwing any telephone line checkers off.

I have also been told by Plusnet that I'm in an ADSL2 area and from my understanding this should boost speeds also?

I'll get my previous Plusnet account that covered my old flat transferred over this week and see what the speeds are like. If they are slow then will call an engineer out to see whats going on.

your best option is to get an engineer out who knows area.
when they are sent out they will have an order which will tell them exacly how long your line is.
BB speed depends on line length but also diameter of copper used.
on average BB will work upto 9km but wont be fast.
also the engineer will only check up until the NTE and not past it.
if you want it checked after NTE you will be charged.

if you are being told that your line is long, chances are it is.

as far as sky is concerned they do not supply all exchange areas with their BB. if they do not they will charge more for their package as they have to rent the equipment from another provider. they will supply sky router which is probably what you are picking up.

you should get an engineer to visit its the best and easiest option

On a broadband job which is paid for by the bb supplier the engineer can work after the NTE, the engineer has two hours to improve your broadband,the engineer should firstly carry out a broadband health check and a pair quality check,if the line fails the pair quality check AT THE NTE the two hour limit goes out of the window and the engineer should work on the line to improve the line quality until it passes a pair quality test.If it passes the pair quality test but the bb is slow/poor the engineer can work after the nte.

On a broadband job which is paid for by the bb supplier the engineer can work after the NTE, the engineer has two hours to improve your broadband,the engineer should firstly carry out a broadband health check and a pair quality check,if the line fails the pair quality check AT THE NTE the two hour limit goes out of the window and the engineer should work on the line to improve the line quality until it passes a pair quality test.If it passes the pair quality test but the bb is slow/poor the engineer can work after the nte.

Thanks very much for the advice. Would this have to be carried out at the time of installation or can it be done once I see what speed my connection gets post broadband activation?

Sponsored Links

Thanks very much for the advice. Would this have to be carried out at the time of installation or can it be done once I see what speed my connection gets post broadband activation?
This would be done after the adsl had been activated on your line,if after activation you have a very slow speed(which i dont think you will due to your close proximity to your exchange) ring your service provider who will the arrange for a openreach engineer tos come out and do a broadband health check (called a sfi).I f this happens watch the engineer and ask him if he is doing a pair quality check and sfi.If it passes the pqt he will concentrate on the adsl and can work anywhere to improve the adsl speed(this is due to change later this year but i wont bore you with the nitty gritty now)

Thanks very much!

I've just been in touch with my old provider who should have my broadband activated at the new house by the weekend and should get speeds of 6.5meg according to the customer services guy. Amazing how so much can change for different providers.

I shall see what the connection is like this weekend and if its very slow address getting someone out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back