Broken car key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help.I had purchased a corsa combo van on a p reg from birmingham a few hours ago and i had stopped in a garage on way home to refill the diesel only to find i have a snapped key as soon as i pulled it out of the ignition.I know 100% that it was fine before i started the car so i thought th end of the key must obviously still be in ignition but i have checked and it is not so it must of pinged somewhere.Roughly about 5-6mm off the end of the key.On the key though is a number-is this the code for the key?If so is it possible to get a new one cut with this code and the end of the key missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks shane.

Sponsored Links
if the rest of the key is still in the barrel, you will still be able to start it with the sub thats left.
Cheapest option is another set of locks from ebay.
If the car will still start, dont try and get the end of the key out of the barrel as you need to be able to turn the key to remove the barrel from the steering column.

yup, if it starts the end must be inside the barrel- you wouldn't be able to see it really either...

yes, some keys have the key code on them, pop in to your dealer with the key and ask, saves having to fit new locks all round.. (but keep the old key for now to use in the ignition for now!) I've seen ignition barrels with bits of keys stuck in keep working fine for ages with the half a broken key being used..

Sponsored Links
Hi, If you haven't already got this sorted your best calling your local Auto Locksmith as they will save you a lot of hassle & money.

Your vehicle will have a transponder chip in the head of the key but an auto locksmith will be able to remove your broken piece then transfer the chip to your new key and also cut you a spare at the same time. Which I strongly advise, as I have loads of customers that lose there keys and say I always meant to get a spare done. If you have any more queries drop me a line www.sparecarkeys.co.uk

Back